NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Knowing what you know.....

Knowing what you know now....if you had to start new, what scope would you go for?

I'm a newbie who has been playing with a 4" Tasco type tube which although gives not very good images, no tracking and rubbish mount has made me want 'more'!

So, I was thinking of something like the LXD75 10" and as a review on this site looks into, possibly upgrading the mount. OR I could save lots of money and go for a LX200, or Celestron, or I could go for a Skywatcher? All very different price ranges.....

So, what do I want to do? Well a bit of everything but I do see myself getting into astrophotography/imaging as I think this is a great thing to do and to share with other around you. I also want to get my kids into it at an early age.....

So, what would you do - now that you know.....?

ps - if this is in the wrong place then feel free to move it....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just recently "started again" :)

I just upgraded from my nasty old 4.5" cat, to a nice new shiny 8" lightbridge Dob.

Easy to dismantle and stick in the back of the old rustbucket. Handy as

all the neighbours seem to like wasting money lighting up the fields

behind where I live.

All I need now, is a few more EPs and accessories to do some good

old fashioned observing :D

Being realistic you cant really do it with one scope.. But.. I would go for a 8"-10" Dob and an 80mm apo or semi apo on the best mount you could afford. chubster has an EQ5 going cheap in the members by/sell that would be nice with a motor kit on it to start with.

second hand you should be able to pick up a Dob for £300 or under, the reveleation ones are fine btw if you can find someone selling one, and as for cheap 80mm's well theres quite a few to choose from but £329 will get you an apo/ed and £240 a semi apo ( new)

Skywatcher 200mm f/5 Newt. on HEQ5 goto mount.

Again and again.

Big enough for DSOs and can do planets.

SCTs don't do DSOs (fastar not included), Mak's don't do DSOs, slower / smaller Newts don't do DSOs.

RCs - well I haven't won the lottery yet.

Big Dob. - my sky NEEDS filters as there is far too much LP here. Dob's are annoying for imaging I imagine.

Doesn't cost a fortune.

Cash increase = 10" SN Meade on a EQ6 goto mount.

Mega cash increase = 200mm f/5 SW Newt on HEQ5 + 10" SN Meade on EQ6, both goto.

Captain Chaos

ok - lots of great advice - only one small prob is that I'm not entirely sure what it all means! So, I guess I need to do some reading and learning!

So, how about if I went for a 8 or 10" Skywatcher/Meade with a EG5 or EG6 Mount and then also go something like a star travel 80 also? Does this make sense?

I guess I need to know:

1) Is there a big difference between a skywatcher (8 or 10) and a Meade LXD (8 or 10) - like quality, usability, optics, photography?

2) Why is imaging so much better through something like a ED80 (??) - is that something like the above Star Travel?

I don't want to buy stuff that I will outgrow as once I convince the better half I would have a hard time re-convincing her I need more.....I would get a slap! :whip2:

Your time and patience with me is much appreciated!

OK, what is your budget? Are you primarily wanting to do imaging?

The ED80 is an APO the startravel is an Achro, the achro will show false colour the APO wont. For visual it's not too important but for imaging false colour looks terrible and distorts your images.

Go with the ED80 on an EQ6. Lots of room to grow and both great items. If you want something a little larger so you can do visual as well go with the 8" newt as well/instead of but keep it on the EQ6. Be aware though the EQ6 whilst being an excellent mount is HEAVY

I always have two or three scopes on my wish-list but having recently bought a 10" Meade Schmidt Newtonian OTA and an EQ6 - I have to agree with CC.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=mlxd75schmidtnewt

In truth, I probably should have gone for the 8" on an HEQ5 - cheaper and lighter - but I got the SN10 at a good price and Auntie FLO needs an EQ6.

Celestron's new 6" SCT is calling to me - at f10 it is reasonably general purpose and wonderfully compact.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=c6sxlt

Have also just bought a 6" Evostar OTA this month to sit on the EQ6. Not absolutely sure why I bought it other than I have always wanted one and customers really like them.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ev150eq6

Also agree with CC that Skywatchers 8" Newtonian is fantastic on an EQ5 or HEQ5 - whenever there is a thread like this, it always gets a mention - understandably.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=200heq5

Have really enjoyed using my ETX105 - great for holidays and camping.

Also a big fan of Dobsonians. Ten inches is a good aperture and quite manageable; the larger apertures are more of a handful but very nice!

There are others but I think I'll save those for another time :oops:

Point 1, the Skywatcher is a standard Newtonian (as in cheaper), the Meade is a Schmidt Newtonian (as in not cheaper). Different type of 'scope really. The Meade has a shaped glass front to get rid of residual errors in the Newtonian design (specifically, it gets rid of off-axis coma).

Point 2, the ED 'scopes are better as they don't suffer from chromatic abberation as much. This gives colour fringes around bright things which is a bad thing. The ED relates to having fancy expensive glass in the build. Not all "ED" 'scopes are as "ED" as others though. The more attractive 'scopes are referred to as Apochromatic compared to the Achromatic ones. Star Travel are of the less attractive, less expensive variety, but are still worth the money. The ED 'scopes are worth the money as well, but it's more money.

Captain Chaos

Hmmmmm budget....well in an ideal world as little as possible but if I could go up-to £1500 then that should do it?

Lots of scopes for me too look at and at least I know where to get it all from, thanks Steve. Whats the issue with a 10"? Is it just weight? I'm not too worried about weight as I can add it in as part of my 'gym' routine!!! :D

So;

1) Is there a BIG difference when looking through a 8 to a 10" (other than price!!)

2) If I had a skywatcher and a Meade (8 or 10) looking at M42 would I see a difference?

3) I can still image with this right?

I could then add a ED80 at some point (anyone got a link?) , maybe at the same time depending on ££££- can I piggyback this or put on its own mount?

Lastly,anyone tried using one of these for some imaging (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-Computer-Technology-4780428-Dualpix/dp/B000JHZWRK) - it's failry new but is HD (720p I think)?

I'm sure I have provided humor to those that know but I gotta ask!!!

I could go up-to £1500 then that should do it?

Absolutely! (Until the imaging bug really bites :D)

Whats the issue with a 10"? Is it just weight?

Yes

1) Is there a BIG difference when looking through a 8 to a 10" (other than price!!)

Yes, there is a brightness increase of around 50% when compared to an 8"

2) If I had a skywatcher and a Meade (8 or 10) looking at M42 would I see a difference?

Probably, though the difference is more noticeable when imaging.

3) I can still image with this right?

Definitely, though you will probably want to upgrade the supplied focuser.

I could then add a ED80 at some point (anyone got a link?) , maybe at the same time depending on ££££- can I piggyback this or put on its own mount?

Yes & Yes

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=pro80ed2ota

Also available for less as a bare tube:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=pro80ed1ota

ED80 on an HEQ5 Pro mount and a 14" DOB 8)

LOL, great minds think alike!!. I was deciding whether to be greedy and get a ED100 instead of the ED80.. I totally agree with Phil. :D

Can I get a 6"-7" Mak for lunar and planets as well? I think those 3 scope have it covered?

£1500?? Ok then.. you want to image as well so lets see..

First off lets get the imaging out of the way.. new samsung GX-1L DSLR inc 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses, full auto focus ,bulb, manual settings plus full auto and program modes etc good little camera. £389.98 inc 3 yr warranty!http://www.equipmentexpress.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Samsung_Digimax_GX_1L.html

chubsters EQ5 £130 ( in members buy and sell)

motors for the above £ 100 if you shop around.

ED 80 1 pro OTA £315http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/proseries/edrefractors1.html

A second hand 10" dob should be able to be found for £300 or less leaving you with around about £156 for accessories like t mounts, cable release switch for the camera ( I know a cheap on that works with the camera well) 1 GB memory card for camera, eyepieces, rings to mount the dob tube on EQ mount when you want to image with it etc.

Ask steve ( first light optics) about the ed 80 and dob, he might be able to sort something out for you.

With that lot you also have the bonus of a nice camera to take out with the family etc as well. Or you could ditch the dslr route and go for a dedicated astro cam of some kind but then you really need pc access for it as well ( laptop)..

Obviously there are lots of good options Nessy. I can only tell you what I have learnt from my experience. I was just starting out about a year ago. After a lot of sleepless nights and questions on SGL I eventually bought a second hand 8" nextar GPS for about £1000. I haven't regretted it for a second. Although I have now added a second hand ED80 and super polaris mount along with a ZS66 doublet to my collection the NS8 is the one scope I would hate to be without.

It is portable, very easy to set up, has excellent optics. It can be used at F10 or brought down to F6.3 with a focal reducer. You can use it in alt az mode for comfortable visual work - no awkward viewing angles or put it on a wedge for long exposure imaging. It is an awesome scope for planets and the moon. It is great for deep sky when used with focal reducers - a choice of F6.3, 3.3 or even F2! You can piggy back a short focal length wide field refractor for a great combination.

The alternative is to buy a decent mount such as an Eq 6 and put a 8 or 10" reflector on it. If you get the imaging bug you can add small refractors and the like as you progress. However once you have used a decent fork mounted scope equatorial mounts always seem very clumsy and awkward.

5" MAK - Or perhaps a little bigger? 3" APO - Or perhaps a little smaller? Large DOB - If I had a decent site (and a strong but docile friend!). Waste less money on "accessories", but get some DECENT ones: "Rigid" star diagonals, 6x30 straight (inv) finder, 9x50 RACI finder. But plan to SHARE as much stuff as possible between scopes. Look seriously at GOTO systems, notwithstanding the merits of "learning the sky", Buy FEWER eyepieces - Get Hyperions, Lanthanums (I do wear glasses!). Buy PRACTICAL (not just descriptive) astronomy books, Uhm... :D

Nothing like the zealotry/prejudice of a recent (re)convert. Too much "analysis paralysis", me! I used to gaze longingly at "Charles Frank" (wonder what happened to them?) and sundry "ex-govt. optical" catalogues back in the 1970s... START EARLIER, maybe? :D

Knowing what you know now....if you had to start new, what scope would you go for?

An unfair comparaison lol because we keep on learning.FWIW i would do rather thesame, only i would have skipped my 6 incher to go for my short F/4.5 OO instead.

I would change my Skywatcher 10 inch newt for an OO 10 inch. I would take thesame mount though.

So, I was thinking of something like the LXD75 10" and as a review on this site looks into, possibly upgrading the mount. OR I could save lots of money and go for a LX200, or Celestron, or I could go for a Skywatcher? All very different price ranges.....

So, what do I want to do? Well a bit of everything but I do see myself getting into astrophotography/imaging as I think this is a great thing to do and to share with other around you. I also want to get my kids into it at an early age.....

Indeed you cannot qet what you want until you know what you want....

Wait a bit, think it over, read and learn, find out pro and cons,talk to fellow amateurs, then make a consensus a go for it....

(I know easier said then done)

Archived