Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus the neglected Planet

Polar Bear

I was up reasonably early (for me at least) with a trip to the local sorting office at 7.00am .

On route I immediately noticed Venus to the south east and on returning home got out my little 76mm table top reflector and took a look.

Almost perfect seeing and a clearly defined crescent brought a smile to my face.

I always find it fascinating that we can see this amazing sight in daylight with inexpensive gear.

Venus always seems a little overlooked to me and I can't understand why.

Paul

Venus is an amazing sight with a scope or the naked eye. It is so bright at the moment and its nice that you can observe it at different phases. I don`t think it is that much overlooked as i have seen some nice photos on this forum. I think it is not observed as much as the likes of Jupiter due to there being very little if any detail visible, though i do believe you can see some cloud detail with the correct filter (ultraviolet maybe??). Not too sure to be honest but sure someone will know.

For observing clouds violet filter - #47 can be used, but most details are in imaging - in true UV, and deeper infrared.

Thanks for that , it will go in my notebook for reference when I get geared up for 'proper' imaging in a few years time.

Interesting website, good to see you are a Linux developer :) which I use (currently Ubuntu 10.10)

Paul

I'm going to make a concerted effort to get Venus in the am this winter. I have a decent-ish SE horizon, so much more favourable for me than the evening apparition through the summer, in which I managed only one telescopic obs of this beauty

I have managed to see cloud detail on Venus without a uv filter using a long focus 4" refractor - definite cloud detail was clearly visible by me and a fellow scientist neighbour in the two limbs of the crescent. i suspect therefore that you can see detail if conditions are right and you have a high contrast telescope without too much scattered light.

Chris

That depends how bright/dim view you will get. Like the violet #47 cuts all red and most of green so they won't overglow the cloud contrasts which are "made" by wavelengts from UV to violet-blue. Then it's easier to see them in a scope setup that give very bright view. Venus is tricky :)

I was up early this morning for Saturn, Venus and the Moon. Fantastic sky.

Sadly both mirrors dewed up in less than 5 minutes. Which ruined the view of Saturn. Although there was still a hint of banding and the rings are nicely tilted.

But Venus was stunning. Apparent size is huge and the thin crescent beautiful. I was surprised to get a real wow from it.

Well worth the early start. Same again tomorrow hopefully but this time armed with a hairdryer.

Hi Paul, have to agree with your point. I have some breathtaking views of Venus recently and I'm talking just naked eye! I take my dog out in the mornings between 5 and 6. A few minutes walk from home and I'm heading south with pretty good dark skies, when I'm lucky enough to have no cloud I have been amazed by just how luminous Venus appears. A really dramatic sight indeed and knowing I can see Saturn as well just makes even better!:)

Alan

Archived