NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 350d or 500d

Hi All

I am thinking of upgrading from the canon 350d to the 500d with live view, this is mainly because i find it hard to focus the 350 through the eyepiece the question i have is, will it be worth the extra cash and will i be able to focus easier with live view mode.

Any comments would be welcome

Thanks

Mickyjd

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 500D is a very nice camera, so is the 350D.....

I have a 350D and a modded 1000D (Live view)...

The sensitivity of the live view, for me, only works on really bright stars and I still have to take a couple of exposures ( you can use a Bahtinov mask to help) to confirm focus...IMHO the live view is nice but over rated for focusing in astronomy

Hi - agree as above - though if you want to focus on moon its good. If you havent got a mask still useable - just find bright star!

Have tried to focus on stars for DSO - seemed to work ok for few shots I did before clouds came in.

i have a cano 500d and the very good thing about it rthat it is a very low noise camera i use live view but with a bahtinov mask on a bright star. here is a link to compare results of low noise cameras by gary honnis Canon Digital Rebel T1i (500D) Dark Frame Noise and Sensitivity Comparison to XSi (450D) and XS (1000D) -by Gary Honis the 500 is worth its money.

I found the live view on my 1000D ok for setting the focus but only using a bright star like Vega. Using it for setting the goto was almost next to useless unless you had it connected to a laptop and using Yoddha's Astro Photography Tool because that way you get a larger live view on the screen rather than on the back of the camera which can be quite fiddley to operate.

At the end of the day though you cant beat a quick 10 second exposure of what your looking at, adjust and repeat. Simples!

i don't have any trouble in finding stars to calibrate my goto as long as i have the camera set in bulb mode and i'am running at iso 1600.taking 10 sec exposers and repeating all the time is time consuming and wasting time, when you could be taking lights

I use mirror lockup all the time when astro imaging, just one more possible problem removed from the equation.

With the timer remotes you can program it all in with the camera so that once press will run through locking the mirror up, delay, start exposure, finish exposure, cool down interval, mirror up and so on. So it really is a fire and forget operation once its running.

Although saying that I've just aquired a modded 300D so its back to a bit of mirror slap I think :)

I'm going to go against the consensus here and say that focussing with LiveView is much easier than using the viewfinder. I had problems at the start but now find using Liveview for focussing and also GOTO calibration invaluable.

I totally agree with that but I dont think the liveview is all that when used on the camera, through a laptop makes it much easier to use, using ATP you then get the benefit of being able to pop a crosshair on there and then use it for an accurate drift align.

For focusing though I'd still rather use a 10 second exposure with a mask.

I totally agree with that but I dont think the liveview is all that when used on the camera, through a laptop makes it much easier to use, using ATP you then get the benefit of being able to pop a crosshair on there and then use it for an accurate drift align.

For focusing though I'd still rather use a 10 second exposure with a mask.

I agree about using APT.....just noticed on V1.20 that there is a focus icon but not had chance to use it yet. Have you tried that yet and if so what do you think?

I've not downloaded 1.2 yet. I'm guessing that will allow you to focus the camera from within the software like using Eos Utils. Trouble is thats only going to work if using a lens.

Hmmm, not sure. I understood it to mean that whilst using liveview and focussing on a star you pressed the focus button and it gave you a score....the lower the number the better focus.

I may be wrong though as I've not tested it.:)

That would make more sense....lol. I'll have to have a look at that. ATP keeps going from strength to strength.

Going to download it in a minute and have a look at it.

I just can't seem to get the hang of using my bahtinov mask thingy and just rely on liveview.:)

Hope it works.:)

I still prefer a 10 second sub to using live view. Now I'm no longer imaging with a scope and only with camera lenses I will use EOS Utils aswell to control the focusing of the camera via the laptop with live view and then take a quick sub for confirmation. Much better to focus on the actual target than a bright star and then move back to your target.

Archived