Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

removing dew opinions please,

I was just looking through maplins website and seen a portable gas blow thorch, I have seen that some people use a heir dryer to remove dew, so I was just thinkin this could be a good idea to remove dew, or is their any down dides to this, ???

Well apart from the secondary mirror being wrecked and the tube melting I cant see any downsides :)

You dont really need heat to deal with dew on most nights - a simple dewshield will suffice. When the dews really bad a cheap 12v hair druer will do the trick which can be powered off a car battery or any 12v supply. You dont need masses of heat - just a gentle warmth.

You don't mention which type of scope you have. My small MAK dews-up very quickly, then I bought an Astrozap dew shield for a few pounds which solves the problem most of the time. Hair driers on cold or low can help, but if conditions are really bad its probably time to give up.

Roy

Lots of heat applied quickly can crack glass as well as melting plastic / glue etc. And a gas torch will undoubtedly add moisture to the environment, burning hydrocarbons inevitably produces water vapour, you could well find that pointing a gas torch at a surface from a safe distance could make matters worse rather than better.

A low power electric "hair dryer" will do the job at least as well and is safer. But better to avoid the dew forming in the first place - gentle heat from an active dew control system and/or a long dew cap should help a lot.

hey all, thanks for the replys, I do use a home made dew sheild and it will give me an extra hour, I bought converter that plugs into the car cigerett lighter but it woulldnt run a hair dryer, maybe if I can find a hair dryer that uses less power it might work, one thing I was trying and it is working is to use the big light from the celestron power tank, it gives of heat and if I hold it up to the corrector it takes away the dew, but its dam heavy and takes ages, now the blow torch idea probly does seem crazy, but was just wondering if I only applied a very small amount of heat, similler to using a hair dryer, but as someone has pointed out it will create moister, so maybe not a good idea:D

Archived