Absolute Beginner

Hi, I am sure that you have all seen this question before from a rookey such as myself.

Whilst I have been looking at the sky at night with the naked eye and my not so powerful birdwatching binoculars, I have decided to invest in some equipment.

Having done some research on the web many people are saying invest in a pair of good binoculars first and others are saying look at a telescope such as the Sky Watcher - Skyhawk 114P! :)

My budget would be around the £200 mark and I would need portability.

I would very much appreciate some guidance from you seasoned sky watchers!

Many thanks in anticipation :D

Hi Black Fox,

Whatever telescope you buy, if the hobby grows, you will want something bigger! I'd suggest looking at the sturdiest tripod and mount you can afford - together with an okay telescope.

If you are still "doing the astronomy thing" in a couple of years time, you can upgrade to a bigger telescope and use your old one as a guide telescope for photography.

If you're not sure yet if the bug will take told of your soul, maybe a good spotter scope? These can be used for star gazing and wildlife watching too - look for one which allows you to change the eyepieces though.

All the best,

Andrew

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Could you be a little more specific with regards to portability and this means different things to different people ?.

For £200 you could have a 150mm / 6" aperture scope which will give you access to loads of things that binoculars can't show but it does depend on what sort of portability you are looking for.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Could you be a little more specific with regards to portability and this means different things to different people ?.

For £200 you could have a 150mm / 6" aperture scope which will give you access to loads of things that binoculars can't show but it does depend on what sort of portability you are looking for.

Hi there, yes of course. Whilst i could set a telescope up in the garden I would like to up sticks put it in my car and go elsewhere to places where there isn't such light from the urban lights.

Many Thanks

...in which case;

Dobsonians

With Dobsonian telescopes you pay as little as possible for the mount leaving as much as possible for the optics. Not only that but, although they are manual and unmotorized, the mounts are amongst the most stable and intuitive to use.

Your budget falls between the 150 and 200mm models.

We will ALL spend your money for you and tell you to go for the laarger one. We're like that!!

Olly

Hi there, yes of course. Whilst i could set a telescope up in the garden I would like to up sticks put it in my car and go elsewhere to places where there isn't such light from the urban lights.

Many Thanks

As Olly says, a dobsonian in the 6" or 8" aperture (main mirror diameter) would fit pretty well with this. They offer the most "performance per £" thet you can get.

They break quickly and easily into 2 sections (the mount / base and the tube) which make them relatively easy to fit into a car. Around the garden you can carry the 6" and 8" ones in one piece.

Dobsonians are excellent, as long a you feel able to collimate the mirror(s). The scope that you're going to use often is the one that takes the least time and trouble to set up.

I'd advise for a complete beginner to go for a 4" Skywatcher refractor on an AZ mount.

Startravel - Skywatcher Startravel 102 (AZ3)

This'll give you easy set up and a big enough light catcher to see a lot of what's up there.You can then add filters/ lenses etc which can be used on your next scope.

If this floats your boat then it''ll be off to the real world of the bigger and bigger Dobsonian.

...in which case;

Dobsonians

With Dobsonian telescopes you pay as little as possible for the mount leaving as much as possible for the optics. Not only that but, although they are manual and unmotorized, the mounts are amongst the most stable and intuitive to use.

Your budget falls between the 150 and 200mm models.

We will ALL spend your money for you and tell you to go for the laarger one. We're like that!!

Olly

Hi Olly

Thanks to you and everyone else giving me this advise much appreciated... :)

Dobsonians are excellent, as long a you feel able to collimate the mirror(s). The scope that you're going to use often is the one that takes the least time and trouble to set up.

I'd advise for a complete beginner to go for a 4" Skywatcher refractor on an AZ mount.

Startravel - Skywatcher Startravel 102 (AZ3)

This'll give you easy set up and a big enough light catcher to see a lot of what's up there.You can then add filters/ lenses etc which can be used on your next scope.

If this floats your boat then it''ll be off to the real world of the bigger and bigger Dobsonian.

Hi There

Yes I have this feeling once I get started I will get hooked... :)

As you have a set of birding binoculars just get a scope.

If you bought 15x70's it is money that you could have spent on a scope and the 8x42's (guess) you have will be fine.

As to a scope, the 114 is good and a small refractor is good. The 114 will need a collimator to be purchased at some time.

A small refractor is an ideal scope to take anywhere, but it will be smaller then the same cost reflector. One small advatage of a refractor is that it will sit on a camera tripod pretty easily so if you have one then you could get away with just the OTA bit. (Scope Tube)

If you going to get more adventurous then an EQ mount of some sort should be considered and these will come with the 114 I guess.

The 102 suggested by nightfisher is good if a similar cost and they are not a significant amount smaller then the 114. I also like refractors :):eek: Prefer the Evostar over the Startravel.

Have you looked for a club around you, if there is one they may have a meting that you could go along to and hopefully see few of the options. (fedastro.org.uk)

A pair of binocs is a good start and needn't be expensive - a pair of Rockwells from Liddl's are only £13.99 and great for the price. You'll still use them even if you get a scope too.

With your budget you can also get a very respectable starter scope like a Skywatcher 130P or 150P on Equatorial mount, or a decent 6" Dobsonian as suggested above.

You could save money buying second hand but you'd need to know what you're doing - or have an astro mate who can help you buy.

Good luck :)

Been viewing through a Lucia 700-76 telescope a couple of nights back when it was clear. Was surprised what I could see as a rookey, the moon was spectacular and where I could see only one star with my binoculars and naked eye was seeing a pair, absolutely brilliant. Can't wait to go to some star parties and then see what other seasoned stargazers are using to make a really good purchase for my needs and preferences.

Got my Planisphere, so getting acquainted with the constellations I don't know!

Archived