NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to buy used stuff?

Hi to all!!!

I want to buy a Barlow lenses and eyepieces, but I want it used... Where can I find them? How do I know if they're in a good shape?

My brother live in USA and he can ship them to me.

Once I read here in SGL that it has a section where you can buy and sell used stuffs. Where should I look for this section? (I couldn't find) and how do I know if I can trust the seller?

Thank you all in advance!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posts are your replies to comments inside a thread. If you start a thread then your first message in there (and subsequent messages) will go towards your post count.

Note - posts in the "Lounge" or in the "Social Groups" don't add to your count.

Hope that helps :)

You need 50 posts (threads or replies) to access the For Sale section on this forum. You have 27 posts, so you will need to post some more comments before you qualify. Buying from astronomers here will mean the gear is almost certainly going to be in very good condition but other difficulties might include:

- Can't personally check something over or test it.

- Cost of delivery and the time it takes. If it was a scope I wouldn't want it travelling long distances overland. Some astronomy items are quite heavy and you want it insured for damage.

- What if it arrives and there is a problem with it - would be costly sending it back.

Just some thoughts.

James

Posts are your replies to comments inside a thread. If you start a thread then your first message in there (and subsequent messages) will go towards your post count.

Note - posts in the "Lounge" or in the "Social Groups" don't add to your count.

It helped a lot!!! thank you!!! =)

You need 50 posts (threads or replies) to access the For Sale section on this forum. You have 27 posts, so you will need to post some more comments before you qualify. Buying from astronomers here will mean the gear is almost certainly going to be in very good condition but other difficulties might include:

- Can't personally check something over or test it.

- Cost of delivery and the time it takes. If it was a scope I wouldn't want it travelling long distances overland. Some astronomy items are quite heavy and you want it insured for damage.

- What if it arrives and there is a problem with it - would be costly sending it back.

Just some thoughts.

James

Thanks!!! Well, I want to buy eyepieces... Do you think they can break during the shipping?

Thanks (again)! =)

Brazil might be a bit of a problem most members here are in the UK. Sending stuff there would probably cost quite a bit, might be cheaper to just buy new in your country.

What about USA? My brother live in USA and he can buy it, see it is all ok and then ship it to me!

Thanks for replying!

Hi

I personally find that eBay under the particular make such as Meade or Celestron, are good, or Astrobuy & Sell. Astroboot is also good, but is part of Scope 'n Skies.

I believe that you cannot access the SGL noticeboard until you have 50 or more posts to your credit, apparently to prevent traders from infiltrating!

Your brother can buy ep's in the US and bring them when he comes to visit you. Probably be a lot cheaper than UK prices too :)

Can't agree more, the exchange rate for astronomical equipment is 1 USD = 1 GBP. i.e. a $1000 telescope in the US will cost £1000 in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
Your brother can buy ep's in the US and bring them when he comes to visit you. Probably be a lot cheaper than UK prices too :)

Once you add their local sales tax on, it's not that much cheaper - you might manage 10% on a good day (at least on the TeleVue items I was looking at for my next trip in a few weeks).

.... how do I know if I can trust the seller?

That is partly the reason behind the 50-post rule. If the Buy/Sell section is populated only by established members of SGL's community, they are more likely to be trusted and trustworthy.

We don't experience many problems in the Buy/Sell section but back when it was available to everybody we had individuals and traders joining only to use the board. It generated complaints and there were one or two issues, particularly with the traders, so the new access requirements were introduced. It isn't a perfect solution but it is the best we have and is intended to benefit SGL's active members.

Hmm so I have 50 posts to make before I can advertise

Well, I have over 100 posts (with only a few in the non-astro section) and I still haven't seen any sign of this buy/sell section, so I think there must be additional requirements to view that part of the forum, in addition to the 50 posts in the astro section rule. :)

Anyway, it's not like it's a bad thing, I can't imagine the damage access to that section will do to my wallet. ABS and flea bay had already caused a significant weight lost in recent month.

Archived