Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First image - Jupiter

Not quite sure what I've done wrong. Recognisable but that's about it. Used Sharpcap, Phillips 900 webcam, LX90, 2* barlow and registax.

About 600 images chosen from 1900 using registax at 80%

I know I've over processed but it was just too blurred.

I think the focus wasn't good enough, but not sure my scope really can focus this accurately, if its really the equivalent of a 6mm eyepiece then my 6mm eyepiece doesn't give a very good view anyway?

Is it also overexposed? too much gain/brightness?

post-21581-133877500689_thumb.jpg

Can I ask what size is your scope? Can I aspire to images like that with my 4.5" TAL-1? So far mine have been nowhere near as nice as that.

There is an 'Embarrassing Jupiter" thread in the Imaging forum that you might like to look at for more pointers.

--- Penguin

its an 8" lx90.

Maybe the mistake I made was trying to get the live picture looking right?

Was very impressed with the LX's tracking hardly moved for 20 mins! But I have spent weeks tweaking waiting for the clouds to go :)

Maybe not as bad as I thought then. I did do it at 10 fps, maybe 5 next time? And dont have an IR filter yet, would that make a big difference?

The latest SharpCap has a live histogram function which should help you get the exposure just right. It also has an Overxposure function which highlights the areas that are saturating. Great Jupiter shot!

For focusing, SharpCap also offers a Focus function which gives you a measure of how good your focusing is. I think you're supposed to use it when previewing a star image, though. I used "Bahtinov grabber" (google it) and a Bahtinov mask and SharpCap's Sum-10-frames function which enhances the diffraction pattern (needs a star, though, not a planet).

live histogram function which should help you get the exposure just right

Just don't be tempted to pushing the top end of the histo right up to the saturation point. Leave it somewhere round about 3/4 so that there is room for sharpening (which has a natural contrast increasing effect) without burning out the highlights.

Moderate underexposure is fixable, moderate overexposure is not.

shouldn't sharpening tools work at higher precision anyway?

I don't get this. Sharpening tools work by detecting small contrast changes and increasing the contrast in those areas. If the brightness of a pixel is already close to the saturation limit (255) and sharpening wants to increase it, that pixel gets burnt out ... and this is usually ugly as well as a loss of information.

The latest SharpCap has a live histogram function which should help you get the exposure just right. It also has an Overxposure function which highlights the areas that are saturating. Great Jupiter shot!

For focusing, SharpCap also offers a Focus function which gives you a measure of how good your focusing is. I think you're supposed to use it when previewing a star image, though. I used "Bahtinov grabber" (google it) and a Bahtinov mask and SharpCap's Sum-10-frames function which enhances the diffraction pattern (needs a star, though, not a planet).

Not sure if I'm being dumb but I can't find any of those functions ?

Archived