Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Buying from abroad

FLO

There have been a number of threads and references recently about buying from abroad so I thought I'd make the following point:

Twice this month, I have been asked to provide a false receipt for goods that were bought from dealers outside of the UK. (The owners - not SGL members - wanted to claim under warranty).

I don’t do that.

I will offer advice and help to the best of my ability regardless of where it was purchased but there is a limit to what I can do if it is not an official UK import.

Of course, for my own customers I will move Heaven and Earth, which includes free collection of the offending article and re-delivery when required :D

Steve

One option that you should offer them is to agree to sell them an identical item. This means that they will have two items and one receipt.

They can then use the receipt with the dodgy item and get it fixed. They can then sell one of the items to recoup some of the money.

Or they can do what everyone else has to do and buy from the UK.

Ant

I have had some bits from the states (eyepieces,diagonals etc) as i feel they are "safe" from warrenty issues ,but anything large i will get from a Uk supplier.

The main debate is about price,and i have had good savings this way (saved £30 on a William Optics 1.25 dielectric diagonal) even with paying customs etc.Saying that i have only payed vat etc once

I will be loyal to a supplier who looks after me and offers good advice BUT i have no qualms about switching my loyalty if taken for granted but we all have our budgets to keep to and if i means i shop around for the best price then sobeit.

My boss bought me a 300D as a Xmas bonus a couple of years ago. He bought it in Thailand as he was over there on business.

After about 9 months, there was an issue (can't remember what) and it needed to be taken to the Canon repair place in Colchester.

I was very lucky indeed...

1) The official canon shop was only an hour away by car, and

2) he accepted the Thai warranty - even though it clearly said invalid outside of Thailand.

very lucky indeed.

I agree it's a risk... if your lucky and you don't get charged DUTY and VAT then the savings can be great but if you get stung then the saving is less... but if you get charged the VAT and DUTY and then there is something wrong it suddenly becomes a very bad idea.

You take the risk but asking a UK dealer to commit fraud is bang out of order.

Ant

I have to agree with everyone else.. When I buy from abroad I too try to make sure its an item where warranty shouldnt be an issue as the warranty is either international or the item is dispensable to a degree.. Ie eyepiece /diagionals etc, the two scopes Ive bought from the USA have both been of lowish value so warranty hasnt really been an issue as such.

I do have regular dealers over here that I use, at present thats been Ian king for WO stuff and telescope house, niether of which I can fault, I havent had the oppertunnity to use you yet steve but rest assured I will at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Let us not forget one thing...

You will get little or no back up purchasing from abroard when things go wrong...Let us make this perfectly clear for any "Newcomers" To the hobby.

If you are experienced and know exactly what you want and are prepared to take the risk then fine.....

If you are in any doubt then please purchase from a registered UK dealer.

Archived