Storage of Dobsonians

Dear All,

I am thinking of buying a 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian. Storage is going to be an issue (especially with the missus :mad:). Where do people store their Dobsonians. I have an outside cycle shed. Can I store it there? Do I need to take any precautions? I am thinking of keeping the telescope in good condition rather than thieves :).

Simon

Hi Simon, keeping dust out of the tube is an issue. I've a 10" Dob and plastic

shower caps with elasticated edges are good for this. I use one each end, as

the mirror cell is nicely ventilated, so dust can enter from both ends. They will

keep the spiders out too !

Good idea keeping the scope in the shed, near to where it's used and much less

cool down.

Regards, Ed.

Mine's next to the telly - nice and dry. I don't have an outside shed. I would keep the base inside anyway as it's made of chipboard and I think it would be prone to soaking up moisture and swelling if kept outside for the months between the few observing sessions I get.

Keep mine in a draughty and leaky old shed and it's fine, as mentioned above I have a shower cap over each end of the scope to keep out dust, spiders etc. I run a dehumidifier in the shed, I got it from Argos for £70, it runs for 2 hours a day and keeps the scope in tip top condition. The scope is always ready cooled so my 10" Dobsonian is a grab and go scope which is great with the UK weather being how it is.

Archived