Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elephants Trunk Nebula in HaRGB (13 Hours Worth)

Catanonia

I eventually got around to processing this image with over 13 hours worth of data in it.

IC 1396 The Elephants Trunk Nebula that was near zenith for most of the time, making life easier, although tricky with the meridian flips.

Comprises of unbinned

8 Hours of Ha 8nm in 20 minute subs

3 hours of RGB in 5 min subs

Taken with my Skywatcher ED120 Diamond refractor @ 900mm F7.5 and a QHY9 CCD with 2 inch filters.

Guided with an Off Axis Guider and QHY5 / PHD

Processed in MaximDL, DSS and CS5

I really tried to get the 8 hours worth of Ha data and cloud structure into the RGB without over doing it or making it took pink. Hopefully I have managed it.

This one was fun and tricky to process, it took me about 3 attempts, but here is the result.

FULL SIZED IMAGE TO ZOOM IN ON

I hope you like.

EDIT : Can't count, 11 hours worth and not 13

post-16631-1338774980_thumb.jpg

Agreed some lovely detail in that image, there is a strange shadow in the brighter stars, is that due to the OAG

Yes the OAG is interferring with the brighter stars, tried all sorts to get away from it. I think it is the chip size of the CCD or well not sure really.

Thanks for the comments, was fun playing with this one :)

Getting better and better Steve.

For the OAG shadow, move the prism as far to the edge of the tube as you can, and if possible, align it on the shorter side of the chip on the camera.

I'd be keen to see the Ha alone for this one, and keener still to have a play with the stacked tiff. There are some details in the trunk part itself that are very strong in Ha, and i'm sure your data will have them, but they dont stand out so much in the HaRGB palette.

Nicely done, once again :)

Tim

Getting better and better Steve.

For the OAG shadow, move the prism as far to the edge of the tube as you can, and if possible, align it on the shorter side of the chip on the camera.

I'd be keen to see the Ha alone for this one, and keener still to have a play with the stacked tiff. There are some details in the trunk part itself that are very strong in Ha, and i'm sure your data will have them, but they dont stand out so much in the HaRGB palette.

Nicely done, once again :)

Tim

Thanks Tim, the prism is static in the sense of inward movement into the optic FOV, but can move it to the short side. I naturally thought along the longest CCD chip side was best.

Here you go mate for images and raw. A bit slow on my home server, but be patient.

IC 1396 in Ha processed quickly by me

Raw Ha Tiff 16mb

Got a nasty line across the image, not sure where it came from.. Really annoying me, wonder if my Ha filter has a scratch on it.

The Ha data is very nice, just a real shame about that shadow on the stars isn't it, not sure what you can do about that really, the OAG is a 2" one?

Yes a 2inch OAG, Lumicron with the QHY9 large chip CCD, it needs lifting out of the FOV a tad, but don't think it can be done.

Archived