Absolute minimum laptop requirements?

Hi, I'm a novice at astronomy but have got my telescope, my dslr camera and am ready to have my first go at astrophotography, :), but my question here is, what minimum's do I need to run my astronomy attempts (photography or otherwise) on a laptop, as I'm about to purchase one but want to make sure I get one that is suitable for my needs atronomy wise.

Thanks for any guidance :mad:

Hi, My first laptop was an HP 1.8ghz single core and it did all I needed at the time apart from processing images, it did struggle. I now have an HP 1.8ghz dual core which flys. The only problem is screen resolution is 1024 x 768 max which makes for moving apps about a bit of a chore. I'd say get what you can afford but make sure it has a decent screen res and a large hard drive, memory you can add later.

If I may butt in on Black Star's thread, wrt computers and ap, which is more important . . . RAM or speed/number of processors?

I ask because the statement that memory can be added later is only true if the laptop mb is socketed for enough memory. I have an HP 1.8 dual core with 2GB RAM and cannot add more. It has been my experience that adding RAM is generally better money spent for performance improvement. I wondered if the biggest multi-processor systems benefited as much from additional RAM as do the more modest systems. I ask because I'm making the assumption that ap requires a lot of data and usually data intensive applications benefit from as much memory as can be applied.

My netbook runs CdC (and Stallarium), PHD and SharpCap all at the same time. Processing is done on a desktop, there is no way the netbook would cope - and if it did, it would take an age.

A desktop and a cheap laptop/netbook is probably cheaper and may be a better solution than a top end laptop.

Hi Bright Star and welcome :)

The main thing I would be looking for would be a fast CPU and a good quality screen. Both are required for image processing. You'd be better off with a desktop unless you have to have a lappy or you need it for capturing. I use a Samsung N140 Netbook for scope control and webcam capture, but process images on my desktop (i7, nice and quick :mad:).

Good advice there but you guys are forgetting about graphics card's. Whilst most of the £500 laptops come with an intergrated graphics card but try get one with a stand alone one. yes graphics cards are mainly for gaming but when your working with images you will need alot of processing power. So try get one with at least a 512Mb stand alone graphics card.

Depending on the Operating system you get as well, you will need more RAM this is something to consider.

Windows XP uses about 512Mb RAM to run comfortably so having about 2GB ram for that would be ok.

Vista uses about 2GB ram to run so your wanting about 4GB on the laptop.

Windows 7 uses 3GB to run so your wanting at the very minimum 4GB, 6Gb is more reliable though.

But hey, thats just to get it running nice and fast. You would probably be better off doing your imaging attempts on a desktop as you get more bang for your buck. And use a laptop outside if you need it for the mount/locating things or whatever. Even a notebook would be able to run Stellarium no bother and there really cheap.

Good advice there but you guys are forgetting about graphics card's. Whilst most of the £500 laptops come with an intergrated graphics card but try get one with a stand alone one. yes graphics cards are mainly for gaming but when your working with images you will need alot of processing power. So try get one with at least a 512Mb stand alone graphics card.

Good point, but this is only of use if the software you're using can take advantage of the graphics card. AFAIK most Adobe programs like Photoshop and Lightroom can, but most others don't. Also, I think nVidia cards are better at this than AMD/ATi cards, but I'm not 100% there.

To add to the other posts I'll say, " It depends on what you want and your tolerance levels "

I'm using a Samsung N110 netbook on WinXP.

It will run ( Easily on battery ) -

A DSLR via Nikon Capture, a guide camera via Maxim or PHD, shutter control via DSLR IR, mount control via Skymap Pro OR all that lot except the DSLR and using a cooled camera via Maxim instead. Throw in a bit of internet if I'm close to the house.

Software wise it runs PS CS2 easily. Pixinsight LE ok. DSS if I don't go too wild and load up more than 10 lights and 10 darks ( 8300 chip ). A cup of tea comes in handy here. Best on the mains.

One or two programmes don't like the 1024 x 600 ( Pixinsight and FITS liberator come to mind ) but a few seconds changing to 1024 x 768 using Easy Resolution Manager sorts them out.

If you have VERY big pockets :) it's pocket size. It fits my waterproof jacket pockets.

I'm sure it does more but my memory isn't as good as the Netbook.

Dave.

I have an Asus EEE900 (orginal model) which runs webcam capture software just fine, and will also run Stellarium okay too. It's small and portable, and runs direct off 12v with a low current draw. Once I've captured my videos I process them on my main PC. You can buy an eee900 for about £80 off eBay. Perfect.

I use a Samsung NC10 netbook to run the HEQ5, autoguiding with PHD, ATP for DSLR capture, Sharpcap for webcam capture, Meade Autostar with the DSI Colour CCD.

I often have Stellarium and CCDCalc running in the background and am on line whilst imaging.

I've got a second eMachine netbook that I process and stack using CS3 and DSS, Registax, etc as data is coming in on the other machine.

If I want serious processing I use the Dell desktop next day.

what minimum's do I need to run my astronomy attempts (photography or otherwise) on a laptop

None of the software you need to drive a telescope's GOTO, or a DSLR is particularly resource heavy. Even a star chart program doesn't use much in the way of resources. The biggest decider if you only want to use a laptop for astronomy is to have a large enough screen to have everything open without windows getting in the way of each other.

I use a 300MHz laptop with 192MB of memory and W2K. This is more than adequate for running everything I use while imaging. It will NOT be up to running photoshop for all your post-imaging processing (which will probably take more time than the imaging session does, if you need to do anything more than a simple retouch)

So the power of the machine shouldn't be an issue for you - my advice would be to buy the cheapest one with the biggest screen.

Archived