Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uranometria

Doc

I have a desk set and an observatory set. The second set I found in a second hand bookshop and got the two volumes for £20. I should say I don't think they are everyone’s cup of tea but for those of us that are purely visual and don't want even the dimmed glow of a laptop screen any where near our telescopes they are an excellent resource. Agree with Mark the fieldd guide is also worth getting.

Adrian

I got mine direct from the American publisher Willmann-Bell

Uranometria 2000.0 Deep Sky Atlas by Tirion, Rappaport and Remaklus

Postage is a lot but there's no customs duty and it works out the same as you'd pay a British seller. Not cheap but well worth it. I only wish I'd bought Millennium Star Atlas as well when it was still in print. You'll need to get both volumes as the cut-off is the equator. I didn't buy the third volume which has data on the objects - haven't feel the need for it. The books are well bound, printed on fairly thick paper, and mine have withstood many dewy nights.

If you go down the second-hand route then be sure to distinguish between first and second editions, which have completely different chart numbering. The first edition is the one that is most refered to in books, sites etc that give chart numbers for objects, but it also apparently has errors that were corrected in the second edition.

Also worth mentioning that the free TriAtlas C at JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy goes deeper. I usually use Uranometria to begin star-hopping, then TriAtlas if I can't get to the exact spot using Uranometria, which can happen if the field lacks stars of sufficient brightness. I printed out all the C charts down to my horizon and keep them in a ring binder. I have a plastic box for all my books and endeavour to keep things in there when not in use so as to minimise dewing, but I've had Uranometria out for hours on end in wet conditions and it has survived fine. Only thing is that the pages and binding swell a bit so that the edges become uneven, but none seem in danger of falling out or tearing. I use large elastic bands to hold the pages in windy conditions, and I prop the book on a heavy-duty music stand. My TriAtlas is on ordinary printer paper so has suffered a bit more, but pages can easily be reprinted when needed. The type is a lot smaller on the TriAtlas and it's harder to read, especially upside down with a red light, so I prefer to use Uranometria whenever possible.

Archived