Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation Eyepieces Set

I am new to the game and just bought an 8" LXD75 SCT with AutoStar. Great scope I think but not sure. I have the stock 26mm and thinking of buying a set of eyepieces.

Obviously got a big dent in the bank account now so looking at cheap deals (Bad idea I know).

I have come across the 'Revelation Eyepieces Set' which retails for £99. Is this a good set of optics or should I just wait another year and get the Meade 4000 set? :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find the Meade 4000s good, but I know some SGL members don't like them. I have looked through some Revelation EPs (at Kielder) and they seemed okay - but haven't really had a chance to consider them in detail.

Incidentally, your LXD75 should give you lots of fun - enjoy.

Tom

Well just spent 2 hours of my wonderful life in what felt like -20C with my telescope and wasn't sure what it was pointing at for while. It eventually dawn on me that I was looking at the reflection off my tv arial! Well am all froozen up and hope I can see something tomorrow.

Gee I thought it was easy with all the fancy gizmos............. WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Is there a site where I can get advice on setting up the LXD75? it not as easy as I thought and living in Aberdeen is not very encouraging(am from the tropics). I Will read the manual and attempt setting it up again. :D

Thanks for the advice on the REvelation. I think I will order them once I see a light at the end of the tunnel (no pun intended).

Consider getting a decent 10mm Plossl, and a good 2x Barlow. Should be able to do that for less than £99. That would give you four eyepieces and time to get used to using the scope, and to consider what you will get when you win the lottery, or get your next bonus.

Great. thanks for the info guys!

i found his celestron eyepiece set which includes a 2 x barlow.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Celestron-Telescope-Eyepiece-Filter-Kit-94303-NEW_W0QQitemZ120052581577QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any thoughts or comparison to the Revelation set?

Did anyone see Leonids shower last night? I had a beautiful clear skies and saw nothing all night. :D. I manage to manually point my telescope at Saturn but didn't see much with my 26mm :D

Did anyone see Leonids shower last night? I had a beautiful clear skies and saw nothing all night.

I was observing til 03.30 and saw precious few meteors - great sky though :D

Regarding the eyepiece sets: Though FLO can supply both the Revelation and Celestron sets, I agree with WH, better to buy one quality eyepiece and a barlow.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ms50009sp

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=talbarlows&cat=70

With your 26mm, you will then have magnifications of 180, 90, 62 and 31x

Hope that helps.

(Click on attached images)

post-12699-133877324699_thumb.jpg

post-12699-133877324707_thumb.jpg

post-12699-133877324713_thumb.jpg

post-12699-133877324719_thumb.jpg

thanks for the tip. I think I will go with the BArlow and extra eyepiece.

Will try again tonight to look for the showers. NIght sky is looking good again.

What is the max practical magnification one can expect from an 8" SCT?

PS: Cant send msg for some reason... astrophethean: I live in the Bridge of Don

The highest practical maximum you can expect from an 8" scope is about 400x (2x the diameter in mm.) Some will argue for 60x the diameter in inches, but that's in exceptional seeing conditions. Because of seeing and LP issues, and the fact that the greater the magnification, the harder it is to track something, you will probably not use more that 200x, and will often observe at 75 - 125x. I do most of my observing at 94x wiht my 8mm ep.

A quick way of knowing what ep will get you your maximum magnification, is to divide the f number by 2. F/10 scope, then a 5mm ep gets you your maximum mag, in your case, 400x. My scope is f/5. I own a 5mm ep, and those rare nights when I think the seeing might reward a higher magnification, I use the Barlow.

Still doing something wrong. I went trough the setup from scratch again yesterday afternoon and trained my Autostar and all seemed okay but at night, al hell breaks loose. the easy align asks me to centre on vega which i can clearly see but the scope is pointing miles off. even when I slew to Vega, the poor scope just keep shooting blanks. :D

I am loosing fate in Meade at a very rapid rate now and very much regreting not buying a Sieben (much cheaper and wont feel bad about binning it :D).

Any thoughts on the Meade 8-24mm zoom eyepiece? and can you use it with a barlow?

I Imagine its not very different to the meade etx scopes with regard to setting up.. I found it a pig at first but soon got the hang of it.. your doing the right thing by training your drives during daylight hours though. something else you can do during the daylight is to make sure your finder is aligned with the scope really well, that way you can use the finder for wider field views when trying to line up on alignment stars.

First off make sure the mount is level.. thats important.. very important as it will throw everything else out if it isnt.. then make sure the tube is pointing north.. The align mate and other devices sold for the etx scopes can be of assistance there ( i think james at scope n skies has one for £10 in his bargain box at present)

If your not happy with the algnment star the scope picks for you then change it via the keypad to one you can identify with your un aided eyes ( the manual should explain how to do this. then line up on that star.. once centered go for the next one and again if not happy with the scopes choice, pick your own but on the opposite side of the sky if you can. again line it up and centre it.. then just ask it to find and object you can see.. fine tune any adjustments and let it track it for a while. any adjustments should be remembered..

I have to admit I spent the first week or so with mine spending more time aligning it than looking at objects but after a while it became second nature and I could do it all in 10 mins or so then relax and enjoy the views.

meade also have a video guide on how to set up their scopes on there website.. its worth downloading them and watching a few times.

As for eyepieces, I have a 2 " revelation eyepiece but fell in love with the antares WA series, more expensive but they are wonderful eyepieces to use..the 5.4 mm and 8 mm would suit you well but they dont like barlows sadly..maybe one of the baader hyperions in 10mm ( they convert to both a 10mm and a wider field lower powered eyepiece of around 17mm if you have a 2 " diagonal)

The skies here are not too bad not the best but good enough I believe to see planetary objects. probably wont see any nubulae from here. Will find out when I get my new eyepiece and figure out how to make the telescope point at something other than my chimney.

6, 9, 12, 15, 20, and 32mm and Filters:

ND96 moon filter and wratten #56 #8 #15a #23a #80a filters.

It doesn`t come with a Barlow but that is my next purchase.

Great sky tonight but darned if I can find M31! Hopefully the 32mm will help locate it. It doesn`t help that it`s RIGHT above me! Ive been following the North Star, through the middle star on Cassiopea and I should get to M31. Fat chance so far!

And NO condensation tonight either!

post-13162-133877324817_thumb.jpg

Archived