NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6 Pro Synscan - one person's initial thoughts!

astroimpulse

Well, I finally took delivery of my new NEQ6 Pro today (after saving). FLO shipped it next day delivery so a massive thanks goes to those guys :(

Anyway, this isn't really a review as much as it's just my initial thoughts after setting it up and having a play around...scopeless. So maybe a mod will feel it's right to move it.

First off, it's in a whole new league compared to my 3-2 (obviously :happy7:). The build quality is far superior although not without issues.

It's got the bubble level I thought these didn't have and the EP tray is very handy. Small things but I'm happy about them.

It's very heavy (as was expected) which is something I love and the tripod is as solid as a rock. The chassis of the mount is very well made and the setting circles aren't the flimsy material the 3-2 had and the cover actually works! So all in all it's very good on first impressions.

Minor gripes would be the text was already half worn off when it arrived (but I know on and off switches lol), the DB9 connector is too pronounced and could do with setting back a little and the alt bolts are not only likely to bend...they came bent!!!!! :) Nothing an upgrade won't fix but for the price I shouldn't have to really.

Anywho, I started her up to familiarise myself with the handset nav which is very VERY easy - like an old synth menu. But I was instantly hit with a high pitched whine! No way could I have that for hours on end. Then there's the infamous grinding sound at high speed slew. How the reviews can proclaim this as an ultra silent mount is beyond me lol :)

Although it's said to be normal for these mounts, I will rid it of most of it over the coming days while I'm scopeless. I've already removed the motors to check their gears and pinion and all is snug. The high pitched squeal is from the slight resistance in the mesh when Idle and can be silenced with a slight nudge on the handset. But I will play with the mesh to rid it as much as possible.

Lots of people can live with it and others can't hear the squeal but I'm super sensitive to high pitched noises. It must be killed! :(

The grinding noise will take a strip down but I'll get it sorted for sure. There's lots of info online but to be honest I'm in my element with these kind of mechanics so I'm looking forward to it. Not the dificult to play with.

One thing that is apparent is while tracking it's pretty quiet. The slow slew eliminates nearly all the noise completely. Maybe that's what professional reviewers were referring to :blob3:

Although most of this post has been dedicated to the negative point of the rancid crunch and squeal...I AM very happy with it. Really, it's exactly what I wanted and it'll be with me for a long time. Solid is it's middle name.

Oh, and the polar align scope seems very interesting. I'm looking forward to that bit.

Until I get it out, doing what it's made to do, I can't comment on that part. But with a few tweaks mechanically it'll be physically perfect for me.

Money well spent IMHO :)

ps. You can wake up now...I've finished! :(

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh, I'll probably get the extension when I get a refractor. It's a nice height for the newt I'm getting first.

The stone grinding sound is something that will wake the neighbours when I'm out in the early hours :)

I've just discovered the polar scope image has been installed upside down. It should be the right way up and even though I can turn it on it's RA axis to right it...it means the Polaris area is going to be flipped.

Someone else here has had this happen looking through the searches. Hmmm.

When you say the polarscope is wrong way up do you mean POlaris is not in the right position ? It doesnt have a right position you know - its wherevere it is - it doesnt sit at a particular positionnwith respectr to the RA position - its tough to explain but for instance POlaris isnst at the bottom when the RA is at its home point.

Thanks AB but no, that's not what I mean lol I'm not sure how you've come to that from me saying the polar scope is upside down. I understand the way it works (space) but maybe I explained it wrongly.

The image of the Big Dipper and Cassiopeia which is on the polar scope underneath the focuser should be the right way around when viewing it. But it's upside down (the image). I know the focuser flips it but it should flip it to the correct orientation. It's as if I have one set for the southern hemisphere.

Obviously I can rotate ra 180° like I would to align the polar scope with the mount but it's going to mean having weights in the air. So it's been fitted incorrectly.

I've read of one or two people getting their polar scopes like this and having to rotate the polar scope on it's axis which is supposed to be permanently factory set.

With the Constellations that are etched into the polar scope, they are correct...

What you have to do is rotate the mount in RA until the stars etched in the polar scope match the current positions in the sky.

Then you manually more the mount using the Alt/Az adjusters to put Polaris in the little circle (the one on the big circle).

While doing this the weights may well be above the scope - but only while doing the polar aligning.

Cheers

Ant

Hi Ant, yep...I understand this. I understand how to align...that's really not what I'm trying to explain here.

Maybe I'm just seeing stupidity where it's not. If it was the other way (rotated 180°) I could polar align without having to have the RA rotated all the way upside down. And therefor the whole kit.

It seems stupid to have to turn the whole thing 180° when if the image itself was rotated 180° I would be only needing a small amount of RA rotation.

When you look through your polar align scope (with the mount more or less parked - weights down) is the etching perfectly upside down?

Because every part of the manual and online experience is the opposite to what I have.

When you look through your polar align scope (with the mount more or less parked - weights down) is the etching perfectly upside down?

Nope - on mine with the weights down Polaris is at about 10 o clock. It makes no odds because you dont know where you will have to place POlaris.

Lets assume you had the weights down and Polaris at the bottom of the scope. SO it looks pretty. Problem is when you do an align POlaris could be anywhere - ie it could be at the 12 o clock position or at the 3 o clock position or anywhere pretty mych so you'd always end up having to rotate the mount through its RA.

The only exception would be if you just happened to be observing and setting up when Polaris was at its transit point. I cant recall that ever being the case for me.

The POlaris position with respect to the mount is completely arbitary on any mount. Thats because to align you will almost always have to rotate the mount through its RA. This is hard to explain but when you set up with SYnscan the controller will give you the clock position of Polaris - this could be at almost any point in 360' thats why it makes no ddds where the POlarius marker is in rleation to the mounts RA position.

EDIT: I must type quicker...^^^^ what they said^^^^

Remember these are circumpolar stars and their orientation will change dependent upon what time/date you do yr polar alignment.

If using in the southern skies you disregard the 'dipper' and cass as these are not visible!

It may well be set to align at approx 8pm in a Chinese or north American time zone....but either way it sounds as though you have the same as everyone else.

Btw, if you think the neq6 is noisy....try a cg mount! Now that just makes we hang on for the steam sound of the milk frother! Cappuccino anyone?

Btw, if you are contemplating a strip and regrease check out astrobaby's guides....I believe these re the best out there....although it's not something I've contemplated yet!

And the best simple upgrade you might want to consider is a replacement of the alt&az bolts.

Astrodevelopments do some great replacements that make polar alignment a dream. I wasn't convinced until I tried them at Kielder a few weeks ago...and now I regret not going for them earlier.

Michael

Thanks Michael. i mentioned the bolts being upgraded in my first post. I totally agree as mine where already bent when they arrived. lol (I'm laughing but it's not that funny).

They are my first update for sure. But like I said, for near £900; decent steel bolts wouldn't have hurt lol.

As for the etching orientation...(also @ AB) I totally get you. I guess in a few months time all will be well when I go out and the turn of the RA won't be as much.

I do honestly get it :)

I just know they're installed rotated too much on mine but instead of thinking "so what, in a few months time I'll only have to rotate RA a small amount" I started thinking like the OCD I am. lol

As for the noise. It's unacceptable for me and late nights in the garden. And how noisy other things are is irrelevant to be fair. Like I say...what's noisy to some is fine for others. Even the missus can hear it in the other room and she's got terrible hearing normally. I'll fix it though.

I find if I keep the slew speed below 6 (on the handset) it's okay, but maybe I'm just accustomed to it now. I know what you mean though as I'm embarrassed to push it beyond that in the dead of the night.

When it's simply tracking though I find the slightly undulating/ pulsing noise quite calming!

One other point to note is that if you over tighten the alt/az bolts it can be easy to damage the pegs they push against.

Really I'd like to replace both of these with toughened steel to prevent the bolts digging in. The peg on the az adjustment is on the tripod so easy to replace, unfortunately the alt peg is integral to the mount and so would need some form of shoe I believe. I just don't think this is feasible. Oh well.

So....don't overtighten the bolts!

But I work (in some capacity) for a bolt supplier so I'm going to check my options there first.

Nice! Well just so that you know, the BIG advantage of these are the moulded handles.

When you are adjusting azimuth for example you simply rotate both of the bolts in the same direction and bish...you're done.

I initially replaced all of mine with the corresponding stainless steel cap bolts. But whilst they were much more sturdy, they were still a pain to adjust.

Worth noting that the alt bolts supplied by AD have a machined and rounded end that should help prevent/ reduce the cut in problem I previously mentioned.

Unfortunately it's too late for me so I'm after a work around!

I never over tighten. It's a rule of thumb :)

I guess if you really wanted to protect the pegs you could fabricate a brass covering. But a good idea would be hardened rubber on the end of the bolts. Hard enough not to compress but have the inability to cut in.

edit@second post: Good stuff. The rounded end sounds like a good way. And yeh, the handles are the attractive part there. Just £20 is a lot.

I agree about the tracking noise. I mentioned that too in the OP. It is kinda calming. Good way to look at it :(

I think my mistake with the etching orientation is better explained like this:

For the past few months I've been observing the orientation of Ursa Major to Polaris etc and it's been 180° to what the polar scope is showing. Rather than remembering that in the following months it will obviously orientate around to be the same as the polar scope in park...I've just unintentionally ignored that fact.

So apologies for being a tool on that. Honest mistake :)

Noprobs....I know what you mean re the £££'s

If you can wait, get yrself to astrofest or the Birmingham show and I'm sure John will do you a deal!

I waited over a year before I convinced myself but soooo glad I did!

Anyway, yr no tool...sometimes it's just hard to get down in a post exactly what you were thinking....and sometimes we read what we want and filter out what was intended!

Clear skies my friend!

Also the noise goes down somewhat in the big outdoors. In my flat when te HEQ5 sets off on a high speed slew it makes a rather satisfying turbine like 'wheeeee' sound.

Outdoors in a field it much less noticeable and appears almost silent.

If you are going to mess with taking one of these apart make sure you have some flex grips and a rubber mallet before you start and take the weekend off to do it. They are simple from an engineering point of view but very awkward to get to bits at times.

The EQ6 is easier to tune than the HEQ5 and the 6 is far more forgiving of minor set-up issues.

EQ6 compared to a Meade LX or a CG5 is very quiet. The bolts coming bent and the rubbed off text to me implies the mount was not new..

Then knobs on mine got replaced before it was ever used... astro developments ones from day 1..

EQ6 compared to a Meade LX or a CG5 is very quiet. The bolts coming bent and the rubbed off text to me implies the mount was not new..

Then knobs on mine got replaced before it was ever used... astro developments ones from day 1..

You took the words right out of my mouth - my EQ6 is very quiet compared to my old LX90 mount.

Having read about the problems with the bendy altitude bolts, I also replaced mine on day 1, in my case I got them from Modern Astronomy.

I would also be suspicious if the mount came with pre-bent bolts.

I recently read in a post on another forum that some people epoxy a steel plate onto the altitude peg that's integral to the mount, in order to address the problem of the altitude bolts digging into the peg. Haven't tried that myself so don't know how effective a solution this would be.

The bolts coming bent and the rubbed off text to me implies the mount was not new...

This was my first fear but after checking it over there was no way it was used as there were zero marks in the areas you'd expect them.

RE the noise...I appreciate other mounts are noisier guys (hehe) but it really makes no difference to it's noise level what other mounts do. :(

Checkout this link DeepSpacePlace - EQ-6 Noise removal procedure

His rattle is quieter than mine (1st vid) but he manages to silence his (3rd vid). It's not my fix though and his motor gears are bolted in...mine aren't. They're just fixed with grubs and there was no play.

I'll just need to tune out the noise in the drive train. It'll be fun :)

I recently read in a post on another forum that some people epoxy a steel plate onto the altitude peg that's integral to the mount, in order to address the problem of the altitude bolts digging into the peg.

Yeh..that could be a solution. Would only have to be a thin plate too.

I am going to replace the bolts (like I said in the very first post) but I'm looking at other options before I folk out £20 for two. I know a lot in this hobby is worth the money but some things are over priced for the sake of it. Like the Celestron rubber pads. £50!!! hahahahaha Some will buy those thinking they really are special. :)

Archived