Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Allen Key Size ?

Hi

I have an EQ6 Mount and have a saddle upgrade for which I have to remove 3 Allen Screw on the head of the mount, Im struggling to find the correct size 3mm is to big 2.5mm is to small

Help appreciated

Regards

John B

You can buy imperial allen keys but I would imagine Synta would be metric, did you buy your mount new? If you have another 3mm key it might be worth trying that, I think that Synta supply a small "toolkit" with their mounts and the right size key should be in there.

If you look at the picture you need to loosen the grub screws that are between the silver slotted screw and the saddle.

post-17668-133877495376_thumb.jpg

I've just bought an NEQ6 Pro Synscan and the 2 allen keys supplied didn't fit anything on the mount. I assumed someone at the factory dropped the wrong toolkit into the box.

The mount was supplied with the Losmandy saddle fitted and I needed to swap to the Vixen. None of my imperial or metric keys fitted but a neighbours 3mm fitted perfectly. The difference between my 3mm and the neighbours was that mine is unused (and was probably bought in a pound shop!) and his was well used. Must be tight tolerances.

The options available at B+Q are almost as bad as the Pound Shops, screwfix offer a nice range of allen keys. I've always had sets of both what with being in engineering most of my life. You dont need to go mad for a decent set of keys but they are an excellent tool to have around when doing bits to your mounts and scopes.

I highly recommend the ball ended type which allow you to get at small grubs screws and socket caps from odd angles.

Archived