Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anti street light social networking site group !

Pulpstar

I did a quick search on a well known social networking site and couldn't find an anti streetlight group so I decided to create one.

The main reason was i heard on the radio some councils were planning to reduce the hours of streetlights but 'people' had said it was 'penny pinching and would lead to an increase in crime'

Well around where i live which is not a rich area by any means (Killamarsh S Yorks) I am pretty convinced it wouldn't lead to an increase in crime and I've listed 10 reasons in my new group for ditching street lights !

You might think it goes too far by asking to turn them all off but hey if you want to get to point B say of universal dimmed lights then you need to start at point C which is no streetlights in order to get from point A which is the current situation of imo massive overuse of them contributing to huge amounts of night-time light pollution.

Am i allowed to mention the social network site according to house rules ? Its a big one anyhow. :D

All are welcome to join the group or not as you may please.

Facebook: Turn off all street lights

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I would support this and happily add my name to it, the new cuts that this so called government are coming up with are worrying to say the least but if there going to save money they can start with turning off all those lights that are currently wasting money and doing nothing more then washing out the sky! BAH:mad:

I've added everyone that has applied to join the group. Thanks all so much for joining.

Abreak.. how is the area around Bath nowadays - i used to be a student there, do the sports dept lights still outshine the Bath Uni telescope xD ?

Edit: Renamed to Anti Street Light Group.

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like I will have to join facebook to to participate in this one. I have been pressuring my local 24/7 daylight company, Notts County Council, for some time on this issue. They have a 'big budget conversation forum' on their web site about cost saving. But you can't post photos there.

Maybe I am the odd one out here but for me the street lights are essential and would rather put up with the light pollution than see people wandering round in the dark. If I want to stargaze without the pollution I travel, as far as I am concerned this anti street light forum is I feel selfish and a very small minority in this coutry. I read some of the post on here and wonder what planet the poster lives on thinking a hobby is far more important than peoples wellbeing. I have an observatory in the garden and am sourrounded by the lights but would rather have my security than darkness. I have put a lot of money into this hobby and don't wish to lose it but than at then end of the day it is a hobby and my security comes before it.

Jim

remember they're has not been a single instance where the crime rate/levels have increased as a result of reduced lighting anywhere !!

Also look here from a link on UKAI,

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Inside Out South East re Calgary

Even presented with the overwhelming evidence of 11m saved...our councils still talk BS to dodge the situation. :)

I know it may sound daft; but a dark sky showing the milky way etc will make most toe rags/petty criminals look up and reevaluate rather than increase trouble.

I know a lot of people who are toe-rags (not by choice) and when they've been out to a forest etc it changes them for a while after looking at the stars.

I'm not saying it's the answer to crime (of course not :)) but I'm equally not as damning as some ;)

Increase crime? That would be far more ignorant.

Archived