Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

jupiter August 6th and im back ( sort of )

neil phillips

A lot of images i took on the 6th of August, No times as i deleted the avis before saving them DUH

Downsized page ( i know its just not me is it )

5088503208_5a8e040759_o.png

100%

All sizes | 100% B png | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Compressed cinepak av1

Gif on my dial up just compleatly dies. Even this doesnt look as good as the original. but better than Gif sent via dial up connection. Just put windows player on repeat for a gif feel.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/2562590/1201711145/name/JUPITER+FILM+AVI+6TH+AUG+CINEPAK+COMPRESSION.avi

First light for my CGEM mount with the 10" Europa, i didnt do All star polar alignment, just a 2 star align and a couple of calibration stars for GO TO as such the drift was awful, much worse than my ( NOW SOLD ) EQ6, but im hoping it was because i just eyeballed polaris through the mount ( as a polar scope doent come as standard ) will have to wait untill i can try a All star polar align to see if it was that ? i suspect it was.

Run off 3 films tonight ( 16th oct ) before clouds stopped me filming early on, about 30 degrees, taken at 20.27 UT. heres one of them, a 3x TV IR shot with a DMK 10" EUROPA. Nothing special i know. but at least im doing it again. just need to iron out drift now, and get good seeing.

5088427034_e7ffbe8e3e_o.png

Thanks all

Brian ive never made that mistake before, too eager to get data off the pc, ready for more. Ive never tried recovering deleted avis. is it easy ?

Thanks for the comments. Was a nightmare trying to get them all to look uniform. A lot of the processing was actually done visually. By that i mean ( example ) Often it seems to make sense to make image one the same wavelet settings, the same contrast settings ect as image two or three. But due to changes in either capture settings. or sometimes transparency. Clearly that will not do. so i tend to process each image for what i think is required. if the captures are very even then of course yes its worth writing down settings ( wavelet or whatever ) but i didnt do that here. i looked for noise levels (grain) burnout over bright white clouds, and adjusted those accordingly on reg 5.

Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. I did put two halfs of these on image analyzer and compared brightness (exposure) levels seeing them all lined up makes it easier to spot obvious lemons, and adjust.

But i also adjusted the colour by equal amounts on all of them, as here i noticed the balance was consistent from capture to capture. If it had not have been, then it becomes more tricky, and we are back to visual again. ( i dont always trust rgb balance on reg 5 sometimes it mixes too much blue for my taste ) So really a combination of the two techniques, worked fairly well. If i had a AVI motion film in mind when capturing ( i never do ) and transparency was very even. then of course the ideal situation for this kind of work would be say 30 or 40 identical captures ( identical camera settings ) then processing all of them again with identical settings. For a super even motion avi. One day im going to do this. But so far ( for reasons already mentioned im, how should i say WINGING IT.

North canadian

Its hard trying to give advice on camera settings, when i first started thats what i thought like too ( wrote it down ) and yes i admit it will get you off the launch pad so to speak.

But in time its very very limiting. Because your doing what your told without fully Understanding why. And its the experiance that makes the imager ( with judgment ) Dont forget if i give out settings, they are optimized for my 10" pretty useless trying to apply them on a 127 mak for example

But i will say this for a 10" things im learning are uncompressed codecs are the best, but yuvy ( need to check that can never remember it lol ) works very well. these are all yuvy. But im experimenting a lot with debayering on reg 5 using y800 and debayering on IC capture ( look into that if you own a DFK DBK ) As the results can be slightly improved.

Under reasonable transparency 30 fps at 1/30th secs exposure is good. do not increase gamma on jupiter ( saturn maybe a tiny bit for the enck division ) set gain so the white clouds stand out but do not burn ( around 80 to 90 % Focal length dictates this ? ) using the colour histogram all lined up is good. saturation i set between 50 and 100% depending what im trying to achieve. but usually around the 70% mark is good. 6000mm ( roughly here ? ) focal length is a nice sharp compromise with a 10" and DBK. Sometimes i go higher sometimes lower it really depends on so many factors but around that scale is fairly optimized for a DBK and 10"

So many variables i could write all day about this.

Think i just did lol. Hope some find these discussions interesting. Any questions just fire away

Cheers all

Ive never tried recovering deleted avis. is it easy ?

No different from recovering deleted files of any other type ... either dead easy (with the appropriate tool) or totally impossible (if the space freed up has been re-used).

Archived