Skywatcher Skyliner 300P questions (Newbie)

Having taken advice from this forum :D I have spent some time with binoculars familiarising myself with the night sky. I have now borrowed a Meade ETX70 in the hope to actually see something. The problem is, it’s just teasing me.

I’m thinking of going for a Skywatcher Skyliner 300P but am slightly confused about the various models –

What’s the difference between the Auto and GOTO versions of the Flexitube?

Can the standard Flexitube be upgraded with the Auto / GOTO?

Can the solid tube version be adapted for tracking / GOTO?

What I really want to do is buy the solid tube version (less moving parts and cheaper) with the option to upgrade it with some sort of tracking device for taking photos with my Nikon D70S. I don’t want to buy the wrong scope and end up buying twice though. Storage and transportation for such a large scope isn’t a problem and I’m guessing that such a large diameter mirror will gather more light. I assume this should equate to a better image. I would like to see galaxies and nebula’s so I assume the 300 would be suitable for this with the right quality eyepieces.

Thanks for looking,

Pete

The Auto will track objects that you find whilst the GOTO will both find and track objects for you.

As for the size of the scope you really should get yourself to an astronomy shop or star party to see one, they are BIG. I have a 10" solid tube dob and for me (I'm a fit and healthy guy in my mid 30's) it's as big as I could really manage without an observatory, any bigger and I think I would get to a point where I could not be bothered dragging it out of the shed for clear nights. But that's just me.

As for upgrades you can put the solid tube on a tripod and use it for photography not sure about the felxtube though.

The solid and the standard flextube models use the same mount and attachments as the flextube auto (at least that's true of the 250, I guess also of the 300). So it's possible to upgrade them to an auto, I know that someone on here has done that in the past. However there are some caveats:

- you can't buy the auto mount separately, you'd have to buy a new flextube auto dob completely, swap them over and then sell your resulting standard model.

- you can upgrade all the way to goto, but only by buying the synscan handset, and this isn't an authorised Skywatcher upgrade, but again, it's been done.

- the new goto mounts have different attachments so you can't upgrade to those.

- having brought those out, it's a matter for debate as to how long SW will continue to make the auto models, so you might end up with a scope you can't upgrade.

- this assumes you'd still want a dob - if you buy the solid tube, you could as others have said mount it equatorially later on and use it as a tracking or goto scope like that. But be warned that a 12", even a 10", on an equatorial mount is a very big beast! And I think you'd have trouble mounting a flextube like that.

I have a 12" dob and carry it the full length of the house (in two parts) to observe. it's manageable for me anyway. I don't image but depending exactly what you want you image, a large newt might not be the right thing. for DSOs which are often very large, you need low power and good tracking. this is cheaper to achieve with a small ED refractor. and it's not as simple as fitting your camera to the scope even with goto unless you want shots of the moon.

you will note many of the group have more than one scope. I'd suggest this is advisable if you wish to image and observe as you can do the latter while doing the former with two scopes.

you won't see galaxies etc like you do in pics no matter what aperture you get. they will be faint smudges with occasional mottling or dark lanes. only long exposures reveal true detail in most DSOs.

I can't comment on tracking or photography because I don't do them. However I would back up the other comments about a 12" being really big and heavy. Try to get to see one before buying. Don't get me wrong I've grown to love mine, but I've also learnt to respect the weight (I'm normal sized, mid 30s). That said, I quite like the height on the eyepiece. I have a hatchback and the scope simply wouldn't fit in it if it didn't collapse. Are you sure you can fit a 12" solid tube in your car? Keep in mind the base is really big too. Although I have a flextube, I fill in the gap with camping mat and also extend the tube with camping mat to keep dew from forming on the secondary. Dew can be a real problem in the UK. I doubt the camping mats do much for tube currents in the scope, although the view looks good to me once the scope has cooled down a bit. Good views of galaxies and nebulas means getting away from street lights, so most people need to be able to travel.

I have to agree with Shane as I have 12" newt that came with my NEQ6 and it's used only for observing (sometimes) and my 8" newt, with far better optics and faster focal ratio, beats the 12" hands down both for imaging and observation. It's not the aperture (oh I can hear the shouts of heretic!) but the focal length that makes all the difference with DSOs as you need to match the CCD/camera pixel size to the focal length for resolution and image scale. So a medium size, shorter focal length scope is better.

I'll get me coat. :D

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate your help and advice; So today I went and had a look at a 300P Skyliner and EEK!!! It’s a bit of a monster! I was then thinking more of a felixtube 250 Auto when I left the shop but now I have had a bit more time to absorb your comments, am not sure where to go from here.

I think my best bet is to forget photos for now, I can always Google pics to have a look at stuff. This also means that I wouldn’t need any tracking facility. Also, I have a mega substantial tripod assembly that could easily support 20KG’s. Although it’s Alt Az, the head is cast steel with race bearings and fluid filled friction adjustment. Lock off is via mini disk brakes. Maybe my best bet would be to buy a tube assembly and stick it on this tripod.

I now understand that it’s “horses for courses” with scopes and I think buying the best quality in terms of optics, is the best bet for me. It’s a pity I can’t see the for sale section because to be honest, I would rather buy a better quality used scope from someone on this forum. If anyone has any suggestions for a scope only that would give me the best bang for buck (reflector or refractor) I would appreciate it.

Once again thank you so much for your help :D

Pete

Thanks for your help guys. I found an unused Skywatcher Explorer 200P Newt with an EQ-5 on EBay. This leaves me some spare cash for upgrades :)

It's probably about the right size for me to lug up and down the nearest vantage point :)

Archived