SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Started my Observatory

paul11

What a fanatastic job Paul I hope that you get things sorted out next door. After all the effort you have put in it must be driving you nuts.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin the obsy couldn’t be any better I’m really pleased with it. The skies have cleared now I wish I had put the scope on the mount, I just opened the roof to see if I will be able to image the HH and the M42 and it’s going to be close. And yes it has been getting to me a bit but lets just hope she sees sense.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent work Paul. Got your PMs and have been looking at your observatory pictures. Very nice setup. I've thought about starting one in my backyard or at least a light shielded pier but we've been also been looking at getting 10 acres or so out of the valley ... since imaging from a dark site is really what I prefer. Look forward to seeing your final setup pictures.

Well last night was a great night for imaging but I spent all night trying to get the guider to work and failed. This image is from tonight, it’s blowing a gale out there but I’m on the M45 and I’ve got the guider working great. It was the rubbish lead that goes into the top of the Lodestar. I just hope the roof doesn’t end up in next door, and talking of that I told her I will be putting her up some new outside lighting next week and she said thank you.

post-15572-133877501054_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on getting first light with your spectacular new obsy, Paul. And also a further congratulations on a positive outcome with your neighbours.

I hope you keep a good eye on your roof. We've got a severe weather system moving across the midlands and north of England and even down south we've got a strong gale blowing. I have concerns for our static roof, never mind a moving one!

it took all of 5 minutes to rap up

And there is the beauty of the solution.

Did you get to see anything tonight? I assume there's lots of fast moving cloud preventing your guiding from tracking any long subs?

I hope it's all still there when you next see it :)

Best,

Mike

Very nice Paul11, like many people on SGL I really enjoy seeing other peoples observatories and the ingenious ways they overcome problems (environmental and social).

There is one BIG question that you have not answered yet.....

how did you get approval from your Mrs????

Very nice Paul11, like many people on SGL I really enjoy seeing other peoples observatories and the ingenious ways they overcome problems (environmental and social).

There is one BIG question that you have not answered yet.....

how did you get approval from your Mrs????

That was easy, no Mrs

Just checked out your Flickr site. You've got some cracking images there. Especially liked the Moon through your attic window!

Thanks a lot Kev, with the obsy I hope I can return to dso’s and image them over several nights and put a lot more hours into a single image instead of just 2-3 hours in a single night.

that really is a nice image, you must be dead chuffed with it, makes the observatory worthwhile eh?
The obsy is better far than I thought it would be. The main reason for this is I can set up and be imaging easily inside 15 minutes and when the clouds arrive you can pack up in 5 minutes. On nights where the weather is partly cloudy I would never normally setup all my gear but with the obsy I only have to open the roof and because of this I hope to get a lot more imaging time from now on.

That is exactly my main reason for an obs. Setup and pack up time. Now it takes me an hour to set everything up on the patio (incl alignment) and about 30 min to pack up. I have to go in and out about 5 or 6 times each time with all the gear I have by now.

But have to by a house first... :-/

Archived