Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Started my Observatory

paul11

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul

Looking good, but I notice the roof is rectangular, yet the obs obviously has the corner cut off, which means the roof overhangs on this corner. What was the logic for this approach? Whilst it probably works OK, how do you plan to cover the gap between roof and the obs on this corner to keep the wind out etc. without the roof fouling against the obs when you roll it off? Personally (and personal preference of course!), I think I would have diverted the path to allow the obs to be rectangular and to make the construction less complex.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the build - keep the pics coming!

Good luck.

I could not make my mind up wheather or not to cut off the corner of the roof so i left it square and as for the wind blowing in that's ok as the warm room is the other end. If i had cut the roof off i would have had a hole in my warm room ceiling when the roof was open. i did not want to get into laying new paths.

We are getting close now guys, the roof is boarded, facia boards are on and we concreted in the 3x3 posts for the ROR roof. Tomorrow off and I have hired some stands and boards for Monday morning to get us off the ground so we can felt the roof.

post-15572-133877492827_thumb.jpg

post-15572-133877492833_thumb.jpg

post-15572-133877492839_thumb.jpg

post-15572-133877492845_thumb.jpg

post-15572-133877492851_thumb.jpg

Good to see it nearing completion!

For the felting, do you intend to remove the side/end boards of the roof and then re-attach these over the felt to neaten up the edges, or fold the felt over the boards?

Look forward to seeing the inside construction.

The felt will be going over the facia boards as it would if I was doing a real flat roof, I will also form a drip edge on the front so the water will not run on the facia board and rot it. I think I will also be putting up a gutter,,,Paul.

well, i have to say i have just completed my obsy today , i enjoyed every minate of it ,when i finished today the moon appeared and had a quick look , im taking that as a good omen.:D:hello2::)

Lets see some images then,,,Paul

well, i have to say i have just completed my obsy today , i enjoyed every minate of it ,when i finished today the moon appeared and had a quick look , im taking that as a good omen.:D:hello2::)

Agree with Paul - Noaksey, please publish some images on SGL. I've had a look on the UKastro site but got bored trying to find your pics!

Archived