NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Started my Observatory

paul11

Well guys the outside is starting to look finished, we put back down the patio slabs and 4 more to run up to the door. Drilled the slab for the pier and put up the guttering and ran it into a water butt. The guttering was the most important job, this is a big roof and without a gutter it will continuously flood the path. The hard work is all done now and I look forward to finishing things off in the next few days,,,Paul.

post-15572-133877495122_thumb.jpg

post-15572-133877495127_thumb.jpg

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do need this finished quick because the pier is in the garage and i'm not getting the tripod out of the loft so i am out of action until it's finished.

I did not use my new SW200P until my obs was finished!! :)

Wayne

These threads rock!

What a fantastic job you've done Paul :)

I've spent the past 2 summers making my garden level with some serious excavation and wall building but I can't think of the best place for an Obs.

Only half the garden is usable due to a small woods (small). If I do it at the northern end it will only have southern views due to the huge oaks. The southern end will just have northern views due to the house.

The middle would totally negate the whole point in wanting a decent amount of lawn for my little girl.

I might just have to have two piers and be done with it.

But I want what you have! lol

astroimpulse, with these choices I would go for the southern views as long as you can still see the pole star from that location (for alignment). I think there's more to see to the south than there is to the north.

Thanks yesyes. It's kinda my thinking too as the skies are packed looking South. Also the obs could be 14ft across (the width of the raised garden part) so could inc a warm room and it wouldn't spoil the garden at all. Just a shame I could miss M31 most of the time. At least it seems that way atm :)

I guess the south end of the garden (house end) will have decking eventually so I could have a pier set up there for catching northern activity.

If I can get something built like Paul's then I'd be a happy bunny :(

Paul, have you managed to observe yet?

These threads rock!

What a fantastic job you've done Paul :)

I've spent the past 2 summers making my garden level with some serious excavation and wall building but I can't think of the best place for an Obs.

Only half the garden is usable due to a small woods (small). If I do it at the northern end it will only have southern views due to the huge oaks. The southern end will just have northern views due to the house.

The middle would totally negate the whole point in wanting a decent amount of lawn for my little girl.

I might just have to have two piers and be done with it.

But I want what you have! lol

It’s funny you mention a pier at each end of the garden because that was one of my first thoughts so I could have a 360 degree view, but it either meant 2 mounts as well or I still had to keep moving things around.

Thanks yesyes. It's kinda my thinking too as the skies are packed looking South. Also the obs could be 14ft across (the width of the raised garden part) so could inc a warm room and it wouldn't spoil the garden at all. Just a shame I could miss M31 most of the time. At least it seems that way atm :)

I guess the south end of the garden (house end) will have decking eventually so I could have a pier set up there for catching northern activity.

If I can get something built like Paul's then I'd be a happy bunny :(

Paul, have you managed to observe yet?

no not yet but it won't be long.

I know this may sound trivial but have you installed an overflow for your waterbutt? They can cause real problems - I speak from experience!! - if they constantly overflow near the base of the observatory. On my own I have installed an outlet and 5m of hose that takes all the overflow WELL away from the obsy - it was starting to form a "wet" corner and I was concerned about the base becoming undermined and unstable over time if the problem was not resolved.

No I haven’t got an overflow but it has got a tap at the bottom and I intended to not let it get much more than half full before I take some out. If i do forget and it does become a problem i will fit an overflow so thanks for letting me know,,,Paul.

This is how we look inside at the moment, first of all I need to put a door and frame in. Then pull the wiring through for the electrics, I have 18mm ply for the floor and 12mm ply for the walls. Then a coat of paint and some carpet tiles, I may not put in the warm wall until I work out exactly where it’s going.

post-15572-133877495392_thumb.jpg

Archived