Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Processing software

Hi guys

Every time I post, it concerns me that it's been posted a thousand times before, but this forum is so huge, it'd take an age to check all the boards, so here goes, with apologies in advance!:

I'm about to get into imaging, and at the moment the only software I have for processing is Photoshop Elements, which I believe is too basic, or the open source GIMP, which is restricted to 8 bit. I suppose Photoshop would be the way to go, but I can't spare an arm and a leg.

Anyone got any suggestions on good software that will do everything I'm likely to need but which doesn't require a second mortgage? Or is it simply a case of "you get what you pay for"?

Thanks in advance

Doug

I am currently using Ps for anything after the calibrating-stacking stage and depend heavily on it. I also have PixInsight and find it very powerful but complicated - with limited instructions. There are good videos but the proagramme is not as use friendly as it should be or could be. I haven't got beyond the early stages but some its tools are incredibly effective for astronomy.

You're not going to like my suggestion, which (runnng for cover...) is to get both.

I'm outta here!

Olly

you may want to contact this company via the email link to see if they have any old versions of adobe kicking around still..i was able to get an old version off them for about £30.00 it was an old version mind you, but still a good tool!

ww.rscsonline.co.uk add the extra w and your away!

Hi Martin

I've already got curves, but I believe there is other stuff in PS that Elements can't do. I tried following a PS tutorial on astroimaging and there was stuff I couldn't do because the functionality wasn't there

Hi Bizibilder

D'ya know, that's something that I hadn't considered, and I should have, particularly as I'm hoping to start work as an associate tutor very shortly (assuming the interview went as well as it seemed to - now I've probably tempted fate!)

That's direct from the Adobe website I assume. I'll investigate that possibility. Thanks for that!

Good!! Look on their site or Amazon etc and they tell you the conditions (you have to send Adobe copies of documents that prove you really work at a school/college). I got CS5 for £165 (instead of around £700 I think??) on Amazon.

see before you said fishing rod i was with getting the adobe and plugins, now i'm thinking get adobe on order, buy and early present prior to getting the tree then kick back with the early present looking at the stars whilst catching fish and planning the next astro image.. namreg you have some hard choices ahead..:(

Archived