Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spring Equinox Star Party

daz

I know its a bit of a way off, but if I don't organise myself............

Friday 24th March to Sunday 26th March at Kelling Heath - more info at www.starparty.org

I was thinking that this could be a good time to lose my SPV (Star Party Virginity), and wondered if anyone else was thinking of going and meeting up.

Of course, you could still go and not meet up - it's not a problem, I know not everyone wants to meet fellow posters face to face.

First round's on me ..... :)

Hi Daz,

I was hoping to make it if poss. Normally go up with Ant, I'll have to twist his arm again. or it maybe that i come up with the whole troop (wife and 2 kids). Although also depends on the weather. Ant and I put off the Spring party last year because the weather was REAL BAD (we're talking fully setup LX200's getting blown over). As it was the Autumn party was not much better. The remains of hurricane swept over Kelling the night we stayed. Was up at 3am bailing the tent out and carrying out a rescue operation to save the astro kit. A friend who went up last week said things were no better this year.

So basically watch the weather until a few days before and then decide. The pitch is very cheap, so it's no big deal to lose that.

Russ

I certainly want to go - and Andrew was really disappointed that we couldn't to the Autumn one. Still judging by your friend's experience, we didn't miss much!

Would certainly be an interesting event!

Yes Russ these are some of the things that i have to take into consideration.

As well as the 1200 mile round trip.

Don't fancy setting up my kit with the fear of it getting blown over or submerged.

But i would like to at some point meet up with some of the guys on here.

I do understand that not all folk are that enthusiastic about meeting up face to face.

Understandable after a couple of bad experiences.

To those who have had bad experiences please don't tar us all with the same brush. (We are not all ignorant twats)

Oh no not another rant!

One day we WILL all meet up and we WILL enjoy the experience.

Quite fancy going and meeting up with all the members of the forum but my main problem is transport i would after rely on public transport and we all know what thats like. As Jamie mentions there are some there hell bent on being ignorant and this does put me off but not to the point were i wouldn't go because of them after all there not that important anyway.

I might get gagged if i go for all the ranting i do :)(see post count :) )

James :)

Appreciate it's big trip for some....1200 miles :shock: that requires dedication. Might forgive you if you didn't make it, Jamie!!!

James: Public transport struggles to get from one side of town to the other, let alone from side of the country to the other!!!!!!

Jamie,

It took me 7 hrs to reach Kelling last year, all for one night. Set off on another 7 hr journey next morning. It was well worth it for the 2 hrs observing we had before the storm hit. The skies are simply awesome. And it's great to walk round and see so many other astronomers. Plus there's loads of trade stands too. Not too mention a bar as well.

As for meeting other people from the forum, well Ant and I had a mixed bag on that front. Nothing to do with this forum, it was another forum we belonged too (founded). Some of the people were really off, just plainly did not want to know us. Others were okay but not overly friendly. Strange!

Russ

I agree, there was a couple of people that were very strange - just not interested.

But the guy that ended up observing with us all night was a nice guy.

If I went again I would arrange to meet certain people but forgot about walking around meeting people that way!

Ant

Good man Steve :)

Can I suggest that anyone interested in attending, mark the calendar as 'Yes' on the Calendar forum. That way we can see who is planning to go. Its not a commitment, but just gives others an idea of who is likely to be there, and what gear is likely to be on show...

Archived