Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2 a good choice?

Edit: Went for the 150PL in the end :o Thanks to all and the conversation aint over yet :)

Hi all,

I've been wanting a telescope for a long time now and have £250ish to play with (quite good considering the missus has been patient with my two high-end PC buying antics) and figured it's time to take the plunge!

After looking around and crossing off goto scopes (reading here convinced me the cash is better spent on better optics etc) I've pretty much decided on the Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2.

I want to see planets (particularly Jupiter and Saturn) with a decent amount of quality.

I'd love a 200p but just can't stretch this far atm.

The Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2 seems to be a cracking package and after searching high and low (inc fleabay) the best price seems to be from this forum's very own sponsor (FLO).

So:

1: As a beginner will I be disappointed with this scope's capabilities?

2: For the budget is this one of the best I can get (capability, brand, quality and maybe expandability)

3: I think I'll buy a moon filter too but is a collimating tool essential right now?

4: Will storing in a descent garage be ok?

Many thanks for your time and I'm sure this is one of 1000s of similar 1st posts :headbang:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will get many views..

1. Beginners are often disappointed as the views are not like the pictures taken with CCD cameras. As time goes buy though most get hooked at the amazing universe we live in and seeing it for themselves. This is the same whatever scope you get. Whatever you get you will wish you could get a bigger one.

2. New then anything from FLO is a good deal. If you are patient and buy second hand you can get a 10 inch dob for around £200 - £250..I did!

3. Moon filters...I bought one with two polarised filters so you can change the brightness. Very god and about £30.. Collimating tool is pretty essential but a chessire one from FLO again is only about £30..

4. The basic rule is store it somewhere dry and make sure that as the temp falls where you store it dew will not form regularly. So a decent garage is probably fine. Eventually after many years you may need to re-coat the mirror but there are firms that do this..

Also download stellarium and buy a book called turn left at Orion to get you going.

Jupiter will look like a super disk about the size of a hlaf pence piece at high power with a few cloud bands, the red (grey) spot and four moons with transits from time to time..amazing..

Saturn is a slightly smaller planet but with large fabulous rings. You will make out the gap between the rings and the planet and maybe the other thin dark gap..Plus Titan and a few other moons..

You will as I say get loads of advice and help on here.

Mark (from Bristol)

mdstuart: Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. Your answer to 1 is the story of my life! lol Always want bigger and better.

You've answered all my questions and more. :o

Cornelius Varley: Ah yes, I was looking at that one and thinking is it the right way as I'm not sure how it's mounted etc. I've seen the difference in images between 150 and 200 and they're miles apart. This one you point to had me thinking for a long long time.

I'd love to jump in at 200mm.

Is it a self build or is it already assembled? Is the wooden mount not going to restrict me and is the FOV as small as that review suggests...1°? I must be reading that wrongly :)

Actually, yep...I see this is simply a basic mount. To be honest...I'm more interested in the best imagaing I can afford than a lovely EQ mount. I realise the benifits of EQ but I'll be doing most observing from my back garden.

Hmmm...Dobsonian could be the way.

It looks like I'd have to buy extras like 2x barlow eyepiece to get the best potential magnification though.

The mount comes flat packed and contains 5 wooden pieces for the mount together with the bearings and screws required to assemble it. You can download the Skywatcher Dobsonian manual from here to see the assembly instructions. I should not take the FOV literally, the review is an extract from the Sky at Night magazine and has to read in context (there is no mention of the eyepiece being used)

Peter

The mount comes flat packed and contains 5 wooden pieces for the mount together with the bearings and screws required to assemble it. You can download the Skywatcher Dobsonian manual from here to see the assembly instructions. I should not take the FOV literally, the review is an extract from the Sky at Night magazine and has to read in context (there is no mention of the eyepiece being used)

Thanks fella.

I've watched a few clips on the tube about these and they seem ideal. Looks like it can be built blindfolded to be honest :o

Must...stop...looking...at....the...bigger ones! haha

And yeh, you're right; no mention of the eyepieces at all.

I'm going to be asking so many questions on this forum over the coming weeks :)

If you want to image then you need a good tracking mount...A dob is not so good from an imaging point of view...You can only do web cam imaging with a dob unless you get a fancy tracking dob!..

Mark

What I meant by image quality is simply through the eyepiece with myself. Photography is something I'm bearing in mind though, but as I have a lot of exploring to do first it may be a while down the line.

By that time I may be able to afford one of their mounts for the Dob but also I could sell it and get the Explorer 200p etc as the auto mounts do start to get pricey.

I've in no way made my mind up yet but I want the best visual experience I can get from my own hardware.

Awesome replies guys.

As a 150PL user I can say that I am thrilled by the views, I decided against buying a dob for my first scope as I wanted one that could track the target across the sky, and could not get my head around the thought of having to nudge a dob about. No do I have the budget for a large goto dob or I would have had it, the bigger the better, well maybe one day. If you would like more on what I think is good or bad about using the 150PL send me a pm.

I too have the 150PL bought from First Light and as Dai says, the views are fantastic..

Once assembled, really easy, and pointed North, tracking is a simple twist of the slo-mo cables..

I am well happy with my choice of scope ... if you want to know anything specific just ask away, there are a good few of us with the 150PL..

Ive found that having owned both the 150PL and 200P, that the 150PL is far better on planets due to its longer focal length. You'll want around a 5mm eyepice to add to the stock ones though, to get the best out of Jupiter/Saturn etc. Its cracking for the moon as well. And on an EQ 3/2, you can get up to 2 minutes unguided for astrophotography, thats as far as I could push it, but for M31, Nebula In Orion, M1 Crab Nebula and the Ring Nebula, this scope with up to two minute subs will give you plenty to get stuck in to. The Pleides dont quite fit into the eyepiece at prime focus though, that was my only gripe. Great set up, go for it.

You guys are giving me what I wanted.

MANY thanks.

Questions will be coming :)

If I buy the 150PL I will not have to buy things the 200P doesn't come with (2x barlow for example). The 200p is a good price but things add up quickly.

I downloaded the 150PL instruction manual and the EQ seems fairly straight forward. It's a great manual to be fair...some interesting things learned already :o

What's a good 5mm lens to get (not super pricey though)?

With the benefit of hindsight I think I should have started off with something like the 150PL. The mount should be OK for the time being and you'll have plenty of time to look out for a more deefy mount if imaging takes your fancy.

As for eyepieces, that's a puzzle I haven't yet sorted out myself but I'm v happy with the TS 6mm planetary eyepiece that my wife bought me from ModernAstronomy.

Thanks Ludd :o

If I waited a bit I could stretch to the explorer 200P (not the dob 200p) but I'd have to lie to the missus as she'd castrate me if I spent that much now lol

I think I'm going to go with the 150pl with a collimater and moon filter to start with.

I can get other bits as it suits.

Do FLO delivery quickly anyone?

Glad to see you have ordered a moon filter, because your going to need it. Without, a full or even partially full moon is very very bright. Enjoy your new scope, download a copy of stellarium and get a bit of practice in before you head outside. Time spent learning the basics will really help when you go out at night, it will take a bit of learning, but is well worth the effort.

I'm an online kind of guy. It's pretty much my job too so fits.

I'll call them though.

Just downloaded that program you suggested and it's fantastic! Thanks very much :o Mark suggested it earlier too. So thanks to you both :)

It even had a little town near where I live in Co. Durham.

Phoned them just as my second email got through.

Wish I'd phone earlier as I'd get it tomorrow but now it's likely to arrive Thursday. It's all good of course.

So a Skywatcher Explorer 150PL with EQ3-2 mount, moon filter and collimater on it's way.

Very excited to be honest. :o

Archived