Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2 a good choice?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a crackingly sharp image. Especially considering you stuck your phone against the eyepiece to get it! :o

Presumably the small eyepieces would have gotten even closer? I'm hearing the 9mm provided isn't that good. What's the opinions on that?

Also, if you stuck the barlow provided on that with the 25mm would the image stay sharp along with doubling in size?

The 150PL is a great starter scope - my first scope was exactly that. Unfortunately the ep's supplied weren't up to much - just enough to get going with - and the barlow was definitely poor.

So you will likely want to upgrade those as time goes on.

Join a local astro group - you'll be able borrow ep's to try at observing sessions and get to know what you want.

Make sure you learn to polar align it - it makes a big difference to ease of tracking :o

Yeh thanks. I downloaded the manual the other day and it explains the whole align business. Quite impressed with the manual alone!

Pity all the EPs are poor though :)

But I'll be sniffing around here for a while and I've already read some pretty impressive stuff :o

I have a 150PL. It's a bargain and a great introduction scope. The eyepieces are Ok, but only OK. I bought almost everything else - better eyepieces and filters on ebay and got a Philiips SPC900 webcam for £1 - jammy I know as I think they spelled a few words wrong and nobody else spotted it. Got loads of advice from this site and others on which filters, which eyepieces, barlows etc.

You will really get into the hobby but the first few weeks are frustrating, trying to find targets. After you get used to it, it's a complete joy and totally enthralling.

As for the scope, start off with this as everyone will tell you, but in all honesty, you will be veyr surprised at just how good it is. Jupiter is fantastic just now.

It arrived! :(

I put it together and I've already aligned the finders scope and I'm just about to do the initial balancing. Glad I went with the EQ for now as the DOB would have meant constant movement to track rather than just twists of the controls.

But I can see why the EQ5 upwards would be better stands. But I'll get the bug with this for sure. :(

I'll give my views on the kit when I get time later. Maybe in the review section.

Thanks for all the info guys.

All ready for first light :(

Collimated and it was super simple to do with the help of the Cheshire. Even though it's not really needed tbf.

Took outside to make sure I have it ready and a level area to polar align and gaze (most of the garden is inaccessable due to me building a very long retaining wall.

Like mentioned before and as expected...yesterday's beautiful evening is nowhere to be seen and the clouds are gathering!

Sassafrassarassum! haha

Was out for a few hours as it wasn't that bad until around 10.

Polar aligned easily enough and just spent the time roaming and getting used to it.

I think I'll have to trim my eyelashes! haha I'm a bloke but they got in the way. I ended up cupping the eyepiece to get a better view.

The kit is pretty well made but the EQ3-2 is far more vibration prone than I expected for the price. The mechanics seem of a high standard but after inspection in light it seems it's not the legs but the axle point for altitude. It's the main connecting from the mount to the legs and it just isn't snug enough. Feel very disappointing for the price they are. Oh, and the cap over the setting circles is very badly fitted IMHO.

Are the EQ5s any better? I like the idea of the HEQ5. But do they vibrate at the slightest touch too?

As for the telescope; it's far too early to make a good opinion. I was just roaming around and basically there was nothing obvious around other than stars. All good, of course, but until I can find a point of interest to study it's just magnified what I can see for free lol Once I learn the different clusters etc it'll be far more interesting.

When I'm out and there's no planets or moon I'm going to hunt galaxies. I reckon I now know where Andromeda is from my area so I'm going to nail it on the next session. That should get the blood pumping. It should also let me make a better formed opinion on the lenses.

The mirrors didn't get dew but the rest of the thing did :(

Things I know I already need:

1: A red light/torch

2: A case for the lens etc

3: A blackout cloth. I was using my jacket around my head and focuser to block out all the surrounding light bouncing off the focuser and tube. Only small amounts were distracting enough.

4: An eye patch!

5: A plan of things to find in a session.

And more...but that is what I need now.

In summary:

Far too early to make an assumption on the astronomy and scope capabilities. So nothing to be disappointed about there. In fact I'm looking forward to the hunt.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with the quality of the mount and lens quality (not capabilites as untested - just their build/manufacture quality). They remind me of cheap eBay lenses and adapters I used to buy from Hong Kong years ago.

OK, I had to log back in to finish this thread, and the day, on a high note.

I went to my garage just 20 mins ago (about 2am) to sort a few things before bed.

There was Jupiter in all it's glory; where it always is around this time at the moment. Peeping around the houses at the front of my house.

"This is mine" I think to myself and grab the kit, which is standing in the garage. I don't bother polar aligning or anything as I just want a look.

Locked on with a 10mm EP on a 2x barlow (obviously tracking was more interesting than usual but I managed it), got it focused (as well as possible) and for the first time in my life saw Jupiter, real-time, in all it's colourful glory! :(

I swear there where 3 satellites around it (one further away) and believe them to be some of it's moons, but can't be 100% sure being a noob. Number 4 was probably right there too. I was just too interested in the textures on the planet. Awesome.

But what I am sure of is the great planet that I've been monitoring for a long time finally got my beady eyes on it! :(

I'm going to check the EQ3-2's counterweights and see if I can get them closer to the mount while keeping balance as I can't live with how sensitive this mount is. It's terrible to be honest. Maybe the 150PL is too big for it. I don't know :p

Yay Jupiter :(

Congrats on your new scope:)

I have the exact same model and pieces of kit as you do except for the moon filter, Jupiter is amazing but quite bright I can only just make out the red band. I have ordered a filter and EP set hopig I can get a bit moe detail out of Jupiter if and when it finally arrives. Being a total noob as well I am spending most of my time on Jupiter as it is the easiest target atm, I'm going to have a try for something different this weekend though and take advantage of the moonless nights don't know what though.

I have very fond memories of seeing Jupiter through my old 6"F/8. A very good planetary scope, and fine for viewing DSOs as well. You must have seen Jupiters moons by your description. Getting a motor on the polar axis is convenient for prolonged viewing (and webcam imaging of planets).

you can hang something heavy or even place a covered brick or two on the eyepiece tray on the tripod, I found this helps steady things.

See, I love moments of absolute logic like that.

I'm off to find a brick now. :(

Although I have also found with mine the stability is much improved when you don't use it on a hard surface, a nice flat piece of lawn is good.

Congrats on your new scope:)

Being a total noob as well I am spending most of my time on Jupiter as it is the easiest target atm, I'm going to have a try for something different this weekend though and take advantage of the moonless nights don't know what though.

Yeh, I was disappointing when I first headed in to crack on with work. But when I went back out to the garage at 2am I saw Jupiter and had to grab it :( It always disappears along the southern horizon and reappears from the houses around 2.

I'm going to be more planned on the next night and I aim to get Andromeda first. The Stellarium software recommended in this thread is awesome.

you can hang something heavy or even place a covered brick or two on the eyepiece tray on the tripod, I found this helps steady things.

I had a couple of common bricks on (the garden is a building site right now) and it didn't stop it. I've traced the main issue to the alt axis point. It needs either better shims or bearings or what ever mech it has.

Obviously the longer scope accentuates the problem and moving the eyepiece end closer to the central axis would help. But, of course, this would wreck the balance.

To be fair to it...I was on high mag but I'd still prefer a steadier mount.

As my old next door neighbour always say: 'time and patience...time and patience'! :(

Make sure you have the mount attached to the tripod correctly - so the azimuth screws actually move it side to side and the alt screws move it up down. These movements should be smoothe and easy and locked in place once polar aligned. Also the screw underneath that locks the mount to the tripod should be just tight enough to allow small movements without any slop in any direction.

Also ensure the triangular tray is attached firmly between the legs as this gives it more rigidity. Try it with the legs only part extended (or not at all) for a bit extra firmness. Then balance in both planes and it should be good enough without weights. Mine was the shorter tube version and was fine after 2/3 secs settling time on an object.

Yeh I did all that. My other hobby requires balancing and steadying so I'm used to it.

The part I mentioned above is the major problem. I might shim it a little.

You say 2-3 seconds as if it's normal? Maybe I'm being far too picky then lol. Come to focus and I have to touch it and it was a pita. After that amount of time Jupiter was gone and tracking it would bring the vibe back. So I'd pull ahead for it to settle by the time it was there.

Are the EQ5 etc better on this and worth the extra cash or do they still have this issue?

The Eq5's (I have the CG-5) are a lot sturdier - heavier steel legs and very solid mount. For observing they're very good - you can get one in the for sale section in immaculate nick for around £100 from time to time :(

Thanks fella, it's appreciated. :(

I have my one a very decent system from FLO but they're far too much for me atm and the missus wouldn't be happy.

But I always find a way to get what I want and need :(

I'll look into the CG-5 and it's differences :(

Archived