NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thanks.

Martin Whitaker

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome -much appreciated.

not had any further chance at using new scope due to having bad bout of 'man flu'.

And cloudy skies.Nice and clear now but too late to set up and work in morning.

Not tried the go-to alignment as yet on cpc but hope to try Saturday.

Hope it is as easy as some of you suggest.

Bought a leisure battery of 85 amp hrs, bit heavy though.

At the moment cpc still in Celestron transport box, I am not sure if I am going to make a foam lined timber box or buy a soft bag and line with foam, obviously this will be able to be placed on car back seat and be restrained by seat belt and be much kinder to seats.

Any one got any suggestons on soft bags, where to get one, looked in Argos but they don't appear big enough.

Oh and yes, big fan of Blade Runner film.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin - yes they're quite big - you should see the 9.25 and 1100 - theyr'e bigger still. We keep ours stood on a sturdy file cabinet with an AstroSystems cover over it.

For transportation I bungy chord it into the back seat (still on it's base) and finally wrap the seat belt around and click in. I leave the clutches slightly loose (just pinch tight really) so any jolts from sudden breaking allow it to move a tiny bit rather than jolt the collimation or mirrors.

Alternatively we pack in the box and stand the box in the caravan - both approaches work well - we go to regular observing meetings 15 miles up the road and have been 120 miles and back to/from Kelling several times and it's never suffered.

There are flight case style boxeas with handle and wheels purpose made for them from Celestron - but they cost around £450-£500.

Cheers :icon_salut:

Hi Martin. Where did you get the 85 amp hrs power pack? That would be useful as my rig needs a small power station just to warm up :icon_salut:

Mark

P.S. I'm with you on Blade Runner. I've managed to introduce my son (19) to a few great films over the years and BR is one of them. :(

Hi mark 7331, I bought it from www.tanya.co.uk I have got the amp hr wrong it's actually 96 Ah so even better.It's a Numax brand.

Cost £72.09 but it does weigh quite a lot it is a leisure battry with deep cycle capability with 500 cycles and a 3 year warranty.

battery number off invoice :Numax CXV27MF sealed leisure batt.

I have bought a cig lighter socket from Maplins and wired it uptemporarily but intend to make a ply battery box (more weight) and fix a couple more sockets for dew heater etc.

Hope this helps.

Martin.

Cheers Martin, that looks cool. 96 Ah is even better. I paid nearly £90 for my 17 Ah so it looks like a really good deal. I'm currenty using a weatherproof mains cable and box but I really would like to be portable so this (I know it's heavy) will really help.

Thanks for the info. :icon_salut:

Mark

Archived