NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Skywatcher large-aperture Dobsonians

FLO

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding pricing. Back when the fourteen inch models arrived, because it can take a few weeks for the price to settle we set what we considered a good price then carefully watched the competition, lowering it if/when we found someone cheaper. To ensure early-adopters did not lose out we offered to credit the difference if our price fell within 30-days of the telescope's purchase. The only condition was that a competing dealer must have one in stock or be able to supply one within 7 days.

It was a successful promotion that benefited some customers so we are offering the same for these new telescopes :)

Just a reminder, the new Skyliner-400P 16" Flextube GoTo Dobsonian telescope will be on display at the Optical Vision (Skywatcher's UK importer/distributors) stand 47-48 at Astrofest together with a prototype of the incoming EQ8 Synscan GoTo mount, the SkyTee-2 Dual Alt-Azimuth mount, the new QUATTRO f/4 Carbon-Fibre Imaging Newtonians and an ED150 3/5 Element Apochromatic Refractor.

Whats the waiting list and delivery times like, our society SEKAS is looking to buy one of these, and were just waiting for the price before we made a decision, I have just sent our committee an email with the price so we may want to order one in the next few days, possibly after viewing it at Astrofest.

Lee

Whats the waiting list and delivery times like...

Both models are currently in stock and ready to go :)

However, due to their size and weight they are being dispatched via a different carrier (not FedEx) so please allow 5-10 days for delivery.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has actually weighed the base of the 14 inch dob. I have seen information indicating a mass of around 26 kg (which would mean it would only be slightly heavier than the 12 inch base). Just hoping to find out if this is accurate. I have heard that the total package shipped is around 87kg. Must be some pretty heavy packaging:D

Cheers,

Daniel

The 14" base unit weighs about 26Kg and the OTA about 18Kg. The 14" base unit wont fit through a standard doorway (about 1cm too wide). The handles are on each side of the base unit, making lifting awkward.

I keep my base unit on a trolly and wheel it round from the garage to the back garden. I can (just) fit the base in the rear area of a zafira - but the lift is at the limit of what I could manage.

The 16" is not a grab n' go - and probably best suited to a static site or to transport in a big vehicle when the sky is really clear. the 16" would be easy for two people though.

Tom

Thanks for the replies chaps !! The base for the 14 incher really sounds like quite a beast to carry and maneouvre throuh doorways and into the car (there is the option of dismantling the base I suppose). I am starting to think for the sake of a couple of inches, to perhaps settle for the 12 in.

Cheers,

Daniel

Archived