New Skywatcher large-aperture Dobsonians

FLO

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Steve,

I wonder if you could answer me this.

Is the AUTO version of the 300p upgradeable to GoTo, and does that just require a synscan handset?

I have a Mak 127 AZ synscan goto, so I'd be interested to know if the handset from this could be used on the skyliner (as the GoTo version is £395 more - £1330 vs £935)

Or am I completely wrong, and is it more complicated then using a synscan handset.

Also, as the 14" and 16" scopes don't seem to have an AUTO version, will the 12" AUTO be phased out/discontinued?

Cheers.

Is the AUTO version of the 300p upgradeable to GoTo, and does that just require a synscan handset?

No, the Skywatcher Flextube AUTO series are not upgradeable to GOTO. At least not officially, there are threads here on SGL discussing an unofficial modification but it isn't something we can recommend.

There was some confusion when the AUTO series was launched. Skywatcher had planned to offer a GOTO upgrade but after testing it was not considered accurate or reliable enough so was never released.

Also, as the 14" and 16" scopes don't seem to have an AUTO version, will the 12" AUTO be phased out/discontinued?
The official word is that "the AUTO version is offered as a separate product line to the GOTO version and stock is available..."

Hope that helps :)

We have some measurements from Skywatcher's distributer:

The Skywatcher Skyliner 350P FlexTube base is 79cm (31 inches) diameter.

The Skywatcher Skyliner 400P Flextube base is 86cm (34 inches) diameter.

HTH,

Steve

G'day Steve,

Just wondering with regards to the base diameter. I have noticed on the Skywatcher website, they are indicating a base diameter of 770mm. I noticed that you have mentioned 79cm. If you have one in stock, would you be able to run a tape measure across it? I am so desperate to order the 14 incher here in Oz, but I just want to be sure that I can maneouvre it through my doorways (albeit very limited stock here).

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

All the best.

Cheers,

Daniel

I have noticed on the Skywatcher website, they are indicating a base diameter of 770mm. I noticed that you have mentioned 79cm. If you have one in stock, would you be able to run a tape measure across it? I am so desperate to order the 14 incher here in Oz, but I just want to be sure that I can maneouvre it through my doorways (albeit very limited stock here).

G'day Daniel :)

We posted the 79cm before they were officially available. One of the lads in the importer's warehouse put a tape measure across one they had assembled. He might have rounded the measurement up.

We don't currently have a 350p setup but hopefully someone who owns one will see this and check the dimension?

HTH

G'day Daniel :)

We posted the 79cm before they were officially available. One of the lads in the importer's warehouse put a tape measure across one they had assembled. He might have rounded the measurement up.

We don't currently have a 350p setup but hopefully someone who owns one will see this and check the dimension?

HTH

I just measured my 350 GOTO Flextube base. It has a 78cm diameter. My doorways are 80cm wide, but with the door opened as wide as possible this narrows to 77cm - just too narrow :mad:

So my scope lives in the garage and is wheeled round the outside of the house, rather than carried through the house.

Of course, another solution is to disassemble the base unit into its 4 main component parts, the circular base (which you then carry) and the 3 sides of the "Dob box superstructure). It takes about 3 mins to disassemble and 10mins to put back together. All done simply by unscrewing 12 bolts. One SGL member does this every time he transports the 'scope to a dark skies site.

Tom

I just measured my 350 GOTO Flextube base. It has a 78cm diameter. My doorways are 80cm wide, but with the door opened as wide as possible this narrows to 77cm - just too narrow :)

So my scope lives in the garage and is wheeled round the outside of the house, rather than carried through the house.

Of course, another solution is to disassemble the base unit into its 4 main component parts, the circular base (which you then carry) and the 3 sides of the "Dob box superstructure). It takes about 3 mins to disassemble and 10mins to put back together. All done simply by unscrewing 12 bolts. One SGL member does this every time he transports the 'scope to a dark skies site.

Tom

Thanks for that Tom. As luck would have it, we have just placed an order to update our doors in the rumpus room that lead out to the backyard area. As it happens, this is the room where I intend on "storing" the scope. Now my wife really wanted double swing out doors, which really means my problem is solved! How cool is that!! For the times that I do need to get it through the house and into the garage (to load the car), I just need to break down the base.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Cheers,

Daniel

Great Daniel. You can explain to your wife that you have done her a BIG favour by agreeing to her request for double swing out doors (additional cost, poor security etc). You have then gained some goodwill which you can use later when you find a nice bit of Astro Kit you need to buy : )

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Any news on the availability of the 400p yet..and price :)

The ETA has slipped from December to January. They haven't set a price yet. We shall upgrade this thread as soon as we hear anything about it's price or availability :)

• 1 month later...
Hmm wonder if they will get around to selling just the mount, can see my Orion Optics OD350 on that.... :eek:

The 2011 catalogue has an upgrade kit for skywatcher dobs listed - base and mounting platform - which may fit:icon_scratch:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived