Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

u think u got problems with the neighbours lights!

starstalker

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, perhaps best not to complain. Doesn't always seem to pay off. Reminds me of something Jeremy Clarkson wrote, about someone not so enchanted by the RAF:

"I also despair at those who complain about low-flying RAF jets. One farmer in Wales became so fed up with the sound of the man-made thunder that he wrote "[something rather rude] Biggles” on the roof of his house. Happily, every flyboy went over there for a look-see."

LOL, perhaps best not to complain. Doesn't always seem to pay off. Reminds me of something Jeremy Clarkson wrote, about someone not so enchanted by the RAF:

"I also despair at those who complain about low-flying RAF jets. One farmer in Wales became so fed up with the sound of the man-made thunder that he wrote "[something rather rude] Biggles” on the roof of his house. Happily, every flyboy went over there for a look-see."

:)

Surely the MOD have a set curfew for when military training ops can and cant be done?

Yes they do, when I was in if an old lady asked me to stop firing my weapon I complied and got the whole battalion to stop until she had had a good evenings viewing of her favourite soap.

Then we let rip as soon as she was about to get some shuteye :).

God help me, why do I read drivel like that.

Jim

Surely the MOD have a set curfew for when military training ops can and cant be done?

Sorry Luke, but no.

Most military training is done on MOD owned ranges (Such as Otterburn or Salisbury Plain) and as it's effectively private land, they can please themselves what and when they do things.

Apparently the new British Army will only fight in daylight due to health and safety concerns, so this will be a thing of the past.

:)

Can you imagine it.......................

British Army Captain: "Sorry dude but you are gonna have to come back in the morning to launch a surprise attack on us because new health and safety regulations forbid us to engage the enemy during the hours of darkness".

Sorry. I am not belittling the job the armed forces of ANY country do.

My place is surrounded by all manner of stuff during exercises, and I must admit I love it. :)

They seem to get 'the serious stuff' out of the way in the mornings, and can have a bit of a play later.

Sat in the field at the side, I've had A10 pilots notice me watching them, and they have put on some amazing displays of what those aircraft can do with them throwing them around, and usually they finish off by going over my head upside down and giving me a wave. ;)

One of the most amazing things I ever saw, was one of the last exercises where Hunter jets were involved. Three Hawk trainers were chasing this Hunter up the valley across the road from where I was standing, with the Hunter having what was pretty obviously a highly experienced instructor in it.

Before the Hawks got too close, the Hunter was thrown into a really tight turn around my neighbours house at about 50ft above the hilltop, and he came out behind the three Hawks absolutely perfectly and in close gun range. Those three Hawk pilots would have been toast.

I'd heard the Hunter was the best fighter aircraft ever built, and that demonstration of its abilities certainly confirmed it. :p

The Irish "Air Force" consits of about 6 of these: Pilatus. They still make a hell of a noise when they fly over my house on approach to air shows........and they are only single props. Not a jet engine in sight. I think they are made in Switzerland..............hence the Alps in the background.

post-18019-133877485281_thumb.jpg

Well all i can say is thankfully Ireland doesnt have an army (as such). The security light on the house across from me is bad enough. It lights up my whole house inside when it goes on at night. Imagine what flares would be like.

Here you are Paul, tell this lot they are not an army:

Defence Forces Homepage

And maybe whilst your at it write and tell the Irish Army lads out in Afghanistan what you think of them :)

Jim

Here you are Paul, tell this lot they are not an army:

Defence Forces Homepage

And maybe whilst your at it write and tell the Irish Army lads out in Afghanistan what you think of them :)

Jim

Haha.............no need for an email. I know 6 guys who serve in the Irish armed forces who have served across the world as part of the UN Peacekeepers. I often joke with them that the only reason they signed up is for the free holidays abroad.

P.S.~~~not one of them has ever fired a single shot while serving. I guess the Irish really do have "the gift of the gab".

Looking back of my time on ranges, the actual live firing time is limited sometimes to the amount of time that flares are in the air. This sometimes is no more than 5 minutes at a time with maybe 10/15 minutes intervals. White light is only used by vehicles at arrival and departure, in between it is all red light. Very little inconvience to anyone outside the range area.

Jim

Nope, due to budget cuts they can't afford the overtime :)

Just tonight on the radio i heard that the Irish government give 1 billion euros a year to the Irish armed forces and many people are calling for that to be cut by a huge chunk, stating that we are a neutral country and the money is being wasted and could be better spent elsewhere.

God help us if we are ever invaded. 1 billion euro funding wouldnt last a day.

Haha.............no need for an email. I know 6 guys who serve in the Irish armed forces who have served across the world as part of the UN Peacekeepers. I often joke with them that the only reason they signed up is for the free holidays abroad.

P.S.~~~not one of them has ever fired a single shot while serving. I guess the Irish really do have "the gift of the gab".

Mmmm, you obviously have never heard of the Congo or Lebanon battles then, plenty of shot fired then. Anyway, we are digressing from the thread which is about light pollution rather than extracting the urine out of the armed forces.

Jim

Archived