NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Secondary Dew control (revelation scope)

Got up nice and early to look at Saturn, only to be thwarted by the secondary mirror!!!

The mirror is glued to a barrel the same diameter and cut as the mirror, so there is no back of the mirror to attach a ring of resistors to (as I did with my Skywatcher).

Any thoughts on how or what I can use to keep my secondary sparkling???

I use a 12v hair dryer! works a treat. orion f6.3

Where did you get one from?

I have been quite fortunate as the last few night my scope has resisted the Dew well but I know this willnot always be the case.

Cheers

ian

Astro Engineering market one that sells for £24.99 (less SGL discount :))

Its a 13amp 12V warm air gun with cigar lighter plug fitting and an auxiliary cigar lighter socket with crocodile leads for attachment to a car battery. (Be careful though - in continuous use, it can drain a car battery within a couple of hours!)

I'll add it to FLO's website and update this post with a link later today.

If it does'nt happen often you can use the hair dryer method, if it's a more common problem you can attach resistors to the back of the secondary. If you cant do that then use a heating element in the hollow barrel of the secondary holder. You can run a thin cable across one of the vanes, or if you are clever you can use the vanes themselves to carry the current.

I've had this problem the last couple of times out with my 14", given my inate fear of electronics I'm going to go with the dew shield solution before I try anything else.

Daz, wern't you working on a heater for your secondary last year?

Yes mate, and it worked, but the Skywatcher secondary is fixed with space on the back of the mirror to attach a little resistor ring.

The revelation's barrel is the full width of the mirror - there is no 'back' to the mirror.

I need to take it off (TUBE FACING DOWN!!!!!!) to get a proper idea of what might work....

Archived