Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Street lights been turned off by the Council..any updates?

Mick UK

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Flippin` Blackpool illuminations"....:)

I'll swap you them for the Steel works/Chemical plants/Heavy industry lit up 52 weeks of the year around Middlesbrough anyday Jake!....of course you have to take the low deep 24hr humming noise and stink as well as all the pollution (air that is!);)

"Flippin` Blackpool illuminations"....:)

I'll swap you them for the Steel works/Chemical plants/Heavy industry lit up 52 weeks of the year around Middlesbrough anyday Jake!....of course you have to take the low deep 24hr humming noise and stink as well as all the pollution (air that is!):p

Them donkeys can be a bit whiffy you know:icon_eek:not sure whether they can hum though.;)

A couple of years back, late night turn off was a novelty. When I heard about a couple of (distant) councils doing this, I wrote to them. I thanked them for their foresight in saving money, reducing carbon emissions, helping wildlife and allowing the night sky to be seen. I also said that I hoped their example would be followed by others.

I was hoping to give them some positive feedback on a controversial issue. It would have been all too easy for them to reverse the policy if all they heard were negative comments. I can't see to eat my chips while walking along the road, I tripped over something, etc.

All of us need to give our councils positive feedback from local light reduction schemes as soon as we see any results. Before & after photos of the night sky would be really good. I already have pictures from home and will add some from a few miles around my home during this winter. When I see lighting changes, I will send them the 'before' & 'after' views.

It is important to let them know that the policy is being watched and supported. They did not do this for astronomers. They did it solely because they are stuck for money. As a bonus, it helped them look a bit green.

In a year or two, if they find some money who knows? LED (white) lighting is very power efficient so cheap to run. But expensive to buy. Prices will drop and the councils need to know that just because 24/7 daylight becomes affordable again, they don't have to do it.

As soon as you see a result, put pen to paper.

If you don't see a result, write to ask why.

If we don't stick up for our night sky, nobody will do it for us.

Why should we have to travel miles to find a dark sky?

As soon as you see a result, put pen to paper.

If you don't see a result, write to ask why.

If we don't stick up for our night sky, nobody will do it for us.

Why should we have to travel miles to find a dark sky?

I totally agree with this statement. We should be able to go out into our garden and see the night sky in all its glory. (cloud or not :icon_salut:)

I have a habit of writing affirming correspondence anyway - 99% of the letters I write to such establishments are usually praising outstanding service - I sent one to the Ambulance service once because of helping me during a personal medical emergency, and they wrote back saying that it was the only positive letter they got!

I'll keep an eye on the areas that are going to be turned off in my county - and get writing....:(

Sam, I was thinking about writing to whoever does the marketing of Church Stretton as a tourist destination. They may not have thought about their good fortune with the street lights being switched off, so tipping them off about how they could use the opportunity to make it a dark sky viewing place. That way the street light switch off trial could end up being a real success.

If I write something, would you be interested in proof reading it for me? See if you have anything good to add. They could do more events like the national trust one - I was amazed how many people they got to a not very well advertised event like that one the other week. We were right on the edge of Stretton and it was easily mag 5.5, with the lights off it should be close to 6 if not darker.

Sam, I was thinking about writing to whoever does the marketing of Church Stretton as a tourist destination. They may not have thought about their good fortune with the street lights being switched off, so tipping them off about how they could use the opportunity to make it a dark sky viewing place. That way the street light switch off trial could end up being a real success.

If I write something, would you be interested in proof reading it for me? See if you have anything good to add. They could do more events like the national trust one - I was amazed how many people they got to a not very well advertised event like that one the other week. We were right on the edge of Stretton and it was easily mag 5.5, with the lights off it should be close to 6 if not darker.

Yeah, I'll be quite happy to proof read. PMed. :icon_salut:

There is a discussion at the moment, here in Cumbria that due to cost they are thinking of switching all street lights off after 22:00? But I'm not sure how far they have gone with this! Although I have emailed my local MP to verify the situation. :-))

Strangely there was anarticle on the BBC this week that young women are scared to go out after dark and hence a campaign to get even more streetlights - sighs

Young women are scared to go out at night anyway - so switcing off the lights will make them even more scared? How scared can one get?!

• 4 months later...
Strangely there was anarticle on the BBC this week that young women are scared to go out after dark and hence a campaign to get even more streetlights - sighs

The Crazy thing is if they added more street lights the young women would still be too scared to go out at night.

I am not aware of any plans to dim, turn off or shield streets lights in the Crewe area. I am considering popping down to meet my local MP, Edward Timpson, to ask him about it.

I don't know about Crewe Specifically but Cheshire East are trialing light switch offs in Wilmslow.

Not aware of any plans for Bath & NE Somerset to even consider this. They seem more intent on providing multiple choice recycling bins. Still, if you don't ask etc. *drifts into reverie imagining view from garden without the 6 streetlights in the way...*

Back shortly. Off to visit the Council website...:)

Interesting comment from Beaulah....

Well it will be interesting in my local area - some of the towns round here have reported a rise in vandalism and kids hanging around on the streets late at night (because they can see what they are doing)...and we're looking to "trial" the switchoff sometime next year...

I bought my MN78 from someone in Sleaford who was fed up of trying to observe with a new huge lamp in the park behind his house. The lamp attracted the chav species of moth. Obviously he did not want to draw attention to his expensive scope, assuming he could view anything worthwhile through it. The council eventually agreed to a midnight turn off, which sent the chavs elsewhere for the latter part of their evening. But denied home viewing, he sold his (not very portable) scope.

David.

Surrey CC are replacing all their 89,000 streetlights wityh a new "white light" version link . What they do not mention is that these lights are well hooded so there is less light scatter upwards. Godalming had now had this worked finished and initial reports from one of my fellow society members is that it has made a significant difference to light polution there.

The master control switch is in Merrow where I live so I just need to find it and hey presto Dark Skies :).

I live in a very rural area but there is one orange street light maybe 20 feet from my house....pain. I remember as a ignorant kid the light going off for a month or so (guess the bulb blew) and seeing so many more, as I know now, stars in the sky. I wish it would just go off.....or someone would take a bb gun to it :)

.or someone would take a bb gun to it

Is there not a local hooligan with his own catapult, preferably under the age of criminal liability, who could be paid a small "retainer" to keep the problem under control?

Surrey CC are replacing all their 89,000 streetlights wityh a new "white light" version link . What they do not mention is that these lights are well hooded so there is less light scatter upwards. Godalming had now had this worked finished and initial reports from one of my fellow society members is that it has made a significant difference to light polution there.

Doing this in Basingstoke as well, hoping for positive results.

Wonder if this is going to be enforced up in the North? I would be interested to find out what effect this would have on light pollution in Newcastle in the wee small hours... :-)

Archived