NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Street lights been turned off by the Council..any updates?

Mick UK

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on the Bath & NE Somerset situation. Sent a polite email enquiry recently and did get a response (:hello2:), albeit not particularly helpful (:hello2:). No plans to turn any off, but lots of plans to put in new bright LED's etc...:hello2:

I just posted this document elsewhere on here. Might be of interest/use...?

Obtrusive Light.pdf

just got response back from local pm:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding the new street lights.

It is indeed council policy to dim the lights in residential areas to 50% brightness after 11.30pm.

Each light is independently controlable remotely so we can continue to make changes to suit the specific area."

Better that nothing.......

Err no. LEDs are broadband. They can't be filtered. Even the RGB ones are broadband. Our rods will be more sensitive to the whiter light as well. The only good thing that can be said about them is they are directional.

I have had a look on my local council's website (link here). In their "Reducing Crime and Fear of Crime" document they state:

" In 1998 the Home Office commissioned research into the effect of street lighting on crime. A copy of the full report is available from the Institution of Lighting Engineers (ILE).

The review concluded: -

· Precisely targeted increases in street lighting generally have crime reduction consequences.

· General increases in street lighting seem to have crime prevention effects, but this outcome is not universal.

· Even untargeted increases in lighting generally make residents less fearful of crime or more confident of their own safety at night.

· Street lighting improvements, where successful, are associated with crime reductions in daytime, as well as during the hours of darkness."

And:

To further underline the value of street lighting’s role in crime and fear of crime reduction studies, carried out in the West Midlands to evaluate the impact of lighting schemes concluded: -

Victimisation reduced by 26%

Personal crime reduced by 25%

Outside theft and vandalism reduced by 40%

Theft of/from and vandalism of vehicles reduced by 37%

Overall crime rate reduced by 14%”

Based on that, I can’t see them supporting any drive to reduce lighting at all.

I go to a friend's house in Darkest Surrey to do some of my observing. He says Tandridge Council are going to start turning off streetlights from 11pm.

Not sure when from or how extensive the scheme is though.

Tim

Edit: isn't the new branch of the Telescope House in Tandridge? Maybe Tandridge Council is endorsed by Sir Patrick Moore...?

Archived