SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter and Ganymede - natural process

Starman

Here's another (!) shot from Sept 4th, this time with Ganymede still in transit but approaching Jupiter's limb. A different processing workflow on this one. Sometimes it's a bit of a see-saw to preserve detail and keep the planet looking natural.

Nearly through the initial Registax processing for the night of the 3/4 and then I can concentrate on processing the RGB's properly unless (a) it clears or (:) I go back and Registax the remaining 96Gb's worth of data collected in the first 3 days of September :blob10:

2010-09-04_00-15-11_RGB2-IP2a-800.jpg

Personally Pete I think this IS the best yet, beautiful ethereal quality and the detail is superb, colour is as I would love to achieve in my own(

I wish)

PS Pete you could always throw some of that 96Gb this way if you want ???:blob10: Gladly relieve you of it .

The interactions are very complex and there are interesting shears that take place along the belt/zone boundaries from time to time, but possibly not in the way you're intimating from the photo. Take a look at this Jupiter video from Voyager and you'll see what I mean...

Interesting You also thinking along these lines Pete, we all often get caught up in the tools available to us in 2010. And can often lose sight, trying to get detail out of a image. But often its those images that we hold back on a little, that we look back at and think, I like that one. Something enticing about a natural image that isnt overcooked.

I know Ian goes in this direction too doesnt he. Its not hard to see why. Though the other shot you posted i thought was actually pretty spot on as far as sharpening and a natural appearance was concerned. It just looked to me like you had a superb sharp capture that didnt need heavy processing to make the sharpness stand out, with all the fine detail.

Here it looks slightly softer for sure, But that soft glow is very appealing. I often do 2 images, because i just can not decide. Or often look back and think way to heavy handed.

sharper or softer i think your captures, colour and processing, are looking pretty tasty lately. Someones enjoying the good seeing

It's a joy to see images of this calibre, and knowing how much effort Pete has put into getting this processing to where it is, a testament to how much skill is involved not only in the capture (good seeing/collimation etc), but also in taking the right steps and approach in processing that data.

Neil, we were talking about your images last night at Greenwich, and both Pete and I thought your stuff was terrific...so keep going!

Archived