Hello from North Devon

Perryellis

Just a few words to say Hi and to introduce myself.

I am new to astronomy but have always enjoyed watching the stars and satallites and I am not really sure why it has taken me so long to take it up as a hobby?:blob10:

I think the bbc series Wonders of the solar sysytem re-ignited my interest and I have since been outside often, with my binocs, trying to figure out what everything is! I plan to purchase my first telescope soon. I have a bunch of 5-6" tscopes in mind but I may have to ask for advice-I will search the forums first though.

Well thats what I am here for really, To get advice and learn some tips and tricks for my new hobby. Im so excited by it all to be honest, I feel like a kid at christmas!:)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL wonders of the solar system was a great series

hope there more to come in the future i started with my binos &

constellation book you will gets loads of great advice & tips from the

members of his website.

clear skies :blob10:

Hi Perry and welcome to the forum. It certainly was a great series with a little something for everyone to enjoy!

May I suggest that before you buy any scope, you contact your local astro club or local astro observing group (...they're not necessarily one and the same) in order that you can take a look through some kit first. It will just give you an idea on what to expect given a particular aperture or budget. Of course it will also provide you with further 'hands on' guidance once you get started. I have attended a number of star parties in particular which have helped me enormously narrow down my choice of scope etc.

Clear skies

James

Hi Perry,

A very warm welcome to SGL, sound advise given by Kris h, and often echo`d by Sir PM himself, binos are a good way to start, download the free program Stellarium to show you the night sky from where you live, books from your local Library, and you will shortly be able to form your own opinion, together with support from the SGL membership, of what scope you would like, enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Perry and welcome to the forum from Cyprus.

Always been interested for years but it also took me a while to take it up as a hobby. I don't even have my scope yet :eek:

Just a few words to say Hi and to introduce myself.

I am new to astronomy but have always enjoyed watching the stars and satallites and I am not really sure why it has taken me so long to take it up as a hobby?:D

Archived