Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter with Ganymede on its shoulder, Sept 4th

Starman

Thanks chaps.

Ralph - I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The individual captures are about 40s each, each filter swap and refocus taking as short a time as possible (normally between 5 and 15s I'd guess). If you meant the whole capture sequence from start to finish, I'd have to check but I've got Ganymede from before it hit the central meridian through to the point where it was separated from the planet. Amazingly, the moon changes its appearance quite significantly as it passes across Jupiter. When it's in the brighter middle bit, it appears very dark and easy to spot. As it heads closer to the shaded limb, it's appearance in RGB at least, becomes much less pronounced.

Damian's response to this question is that he waves pheonix feathers over his keyboard :blob10: In all seriousness, there is no secret at all - it's down to having the scope correctly collimated, correctly cooled and the seeing being good. When all of these factors come together, there's little post processing to do - the results virtually fall into place.

When these things don't fall into place then it's possible to up the ante by adding luminance channels etc. with the result that the final image's colour is skewed somewhat but at least you'll have some added sharpness to the image. For the result above, the images have been sent through Registax, aligned in Photoshop and the levels, curves adjusted to produce the end result. A bit of unsharp masking has been applied to sharpen things up, but there's little more to it than that.

Archived