NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light report on Skywatcher Explorer 200 on EQ5 mount

weareborg

My new scope arrived today, and I couldn't believe my luck. The day turned out to be gloriously :sunny: all day, so I was really hoping that it would stay clear for me tonight. And what do you know? It did indeed.

My first object of choice was my old favourite M31. This was easily located using the scopes large 9*50 finder. After using an old, knacker-ed, well past its sell by date 6*30 finder, I was amazed. Using the supplied 26mm Plossol, M31 was large and bright, with its companion galaxies easily visible.

Next, I decided to swing the scope across to M57. The large finderscope, again, helped me to virtually centre it in the eyepiece straight away. The ring at x40 was clearly visible, and after bumbing up the power to x100, using the 10mm eyepiece, the view was even more stunning.

Next came one of my favourites. The double cluster in Perseus. All I can say is WOW. What a sight. The stars in the clusters just seemed to call out to me. I just couldn't get over the clarity of it all.

Next it was time to visit M81 & M82. Again, the large finder helped greatly, due to Ursa Major being virtually behind our house. Using the 26mm eyepiece, both galaxies were easily in the same field of view. Using the 10mm, allowed more detail to be seen than I have ever seen before.

I just couldn't get over the views through my new scope. After using a small 4.5" home built DOB for 2 years, I am overwhelmed. I can't wait till the next clear night, or even better yet, get out to a truly dark site. Who knows. I may even decide to come along to the next SGL star party. I do hope so. :)

Thats it for now, I'm afraid. I decided to call it a night, as it was starting to get cloudy and it had forcast fog for later in the night. Hopefully, this bad weather we have been having, won't last for much longer.

Speak to you guys and gals soon

Andy ( a truly happy man :) :) :) )

Thanks alot guys and gals for the very warm and welcome comments and support. I too am truly amazed at the quality of the Skywatcher 8" scope. I'm glad it arrived on Tuesday though, as Wednesday here has been nothing but :) :) :).

Andy

Archived