Hello From Scotland

alinver

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Al,

Welcome to SGL, that's a great starter scope you've aquired and it's capable of some amazing views.

Just a bit of background on your scope - Helios scopes were re-branded a few years ago to Skywatcher, which is one of the most respected brands on the market. Here's a link to your scope as it now looks - Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130

If you compare the pictures you'll see there's not too much difference. Although the focal length is now 900mm and it comes with a red dot finder instead of an optical finder like on your version.

One thing I have noticed from your picture, is that your scope doesn't seem to have the weights, which you definitely need to keep the scope balanced. If you look at the picture in the link you'll see a metal bar with 2 black round metal weights attached to it, do you have them?

You may have found them and not realised that they go with the scope or just not put them in the picture but I thought it was worth pointing out just in case. :p

Lastly I'm also in the Edinburgh area and a member of a local observing group, check out the link in my signature if your interested. It's a great way to meet like minded people and get practical, hands on help, especially when your just starting out.

Cheers

Al

A warm welcome to SGL and after the moon I would look at Jupiter can't miss it just look in the South East about 11.00 best view if your up 03.00 look south

if you have your scope working take a look at the four moons around it

this WOW factor still works for me good luck and clear skies

Doug

Essex

Welcome to SGL. It looks like you have a nice scope there. Not too big or confusing for a first timer. When setting up make sure you set the altitude to the correct level for your location and set the polar axis to north. This is the one that doesn't have the counterweight attached to it. You are lucky in the northern hemisphere to have a bright star so close to the pole to set up on. Enjoy youself and this wonderful hobby.

Stev74

I did have the weights but felt they were putting too much pressure on the mount so I left them off until I was actually using the scope. Is that the right thing to do?

Thanks for the link to the Skywatcher Explorer, it is the scope I have it just has a different name. At least I know what kind of scope it is now!

Well last night was a hoot!

Checked and rechecked the weather forecast, 20%-30% cloud, hopeful.

Went out just before sunset and set up the tripod, taking care to make sure it was in the right place, level and pointing in roughly the right place.

Kept popping round to the front of the house to check the clouds, getting a bit blacker and thicker and wouldn't you know it as soon as the sunset the rain came, not much but enough. Still hopeful.

The rain swept over the house pretty quick and the sky began to clear, slightly more hopeful.

Took a deep breath and mounted the scope, taking care not to move the tripod around too much.

Set the ascension to the correct level for Edinburgh, a bit more cloud but thankfully no rain, sat back and waited until I had a clear view north.

Wondered if my neighbour would mind if I lopped a bit off the tree that's almost in the way..

At last the sky cleared enough to start spotting, with the help of Stellarium(thanks zedds!) and google sky map on my phone, I tried to find The North Star. A bit of fiddling around with the spotter scope, a twiddle here and a twiddle there and wouldn't you know it a big black cloud parked itself exactly where I wanted to look. Another deep breath, another quick check on Stellarium, the clouds passed and I'd hit my target, well I'm almost positive I'd hit my target.

The rest of the night was a bit of a blur, I tried and failed to see the three planets that make up the Summer Triangle, to be fair my window of opportunity was small because of a high building and I'm finding my feet, but what I enjoyed most of all was the experience of just looking at the sky even with my new found very very basic knowledge.

I caught myself a few times not even standing close to the scope just looking around and planning trying to match up in my head what I'd spent the day reading.

I have a lot to learn and a lot to read over the next 30 or so years but it's safe to say last night won't be the last night I spend sitting in my garden looking at the stars.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice and very warm welcome.

Cheers Al

I think you'll find (tho I cant be sure) that the tube you have is not the same as the current Explorer 130/900. Your tube length looks too small and my bet is that it has a lens in the base of the focuser which acts as in in-built Barlow to double the focal length.

Lots of compact scopes used to use this arrangement and it works well enough (SKywatcher still use this system I think on the baby SkyHawk scope) but it may be a a bit weird to collimate the scope - collimation is how you line the mirrors up.

Someone on here will have done it at some point so I am sure it can be done. It will be a great starter scope for you for sure.

I did have the weights but felt they were putting too much pressure on the mount so I left them off until I was actually using the scope. Is that the right thing to do?

If your leaving your scope set up all the time, you could be putting more pressure on the mount by not having the weights on. The weights are there to counter the weight of your scope on the mount, therefore reducing the overall strain, but this only applies if you have balanced the scope properly.

It's probably easier if you check out this link, it has a section on 'balancing' and pretty much everything else you need to know about your equatorial mount. :)

Setting Up an Equatorial Mount - McWiki

Personally I store my scope, weights and mount separately as it takes up less room and it's easier to Polar align and level the mount with nothing on it. :D

I think you'll find (tho I cant be sure) that the tube you have is not the same as the current Explorer 130/900. Your tube length looks too small and my bet is that it has a lens in the base of the focuser which acts as in in-built Barlow to double the focal length.

Well spotted A_Baby I'd just went by the numbers (130/900 and 130/1000) but looking closer at the pics the Helios looks shorter. :p

Cheers

Hello again.

I think this telescope is a bit beyond me.

I'll never stop looking at the sky, but I know I'll never use the scope to it's full potential. I'd rather hand it over to a club or society in the local area.

My public email is alinver@yahoo.com Feel free to contact me, and if you can pick it.

Cheers Al

Al don't give up. It's always a steep learning curve but the rewards are huge. Maybe you should take your scope to a local club (any SGL members near?) - They'll walk you through your setup and get you up and running - It'll really will be worth it. :p

Mark

Don't give up al. :)

At least not until you've seen something through your scope that way you'll know what you'd be missing!

It may seem like there's a lot to learn but it's not that bad and once you've had some help to set up the scope, it will start to make sense...honest... :D

Kathleen has offered to help and I will too, in fact it was Kathleen who helped me with polar aligning when I was starting out. Were both members of the same observing group and I know of quite a few others in the area who'd be happy to help. You could either come out to one of our regular observing nights at a local dark site or I'd be happy to come to you? :p

Cheers

Hey Al , always cool to see more nd more Scots joining the forums! As you've most likely experienced already , everyone is mega friendly here! always help around :p

Greets from Fife and enjoy the skies!

Archived