Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Empire Strikes Back

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmmm Thanks for the Heads-Up Nick .

If im not mistaken all this new feature offers is a speedy means of tuning or de-tuning the etalon,in my experience i have never felt it necessary to preform that procedure quickly.

A single stacked Maxscope on-band should show "genuine" 0.7A views thus offering the best compromise of surface and limb detail (visually)

Perhaps when imaging it may be helpful to capture some surface and then quickly detune for limb during moments of good seeing.

Brian

Stop the Press.....see what they are quoting for a 90mm BF15 scope $3600....now thats seriously competitive

The new quick tuning mechanism on the Filters appears to be the outer ring around the ERF , this tuning device must be a massive 5cm in distance away from the standard etalon tilting ring :).

Still this combined with the new pricing structure has certainly got my attention.

Brian

Come to think about it the new tuning knob on a 90mm scope would be a lot better as its not been possible to look through the EP and tilt the etalon at the same time,a few have had to add another device to enable that.

"counter the pressure tuning" is a commercial response to Lunt...sorry if that wasn't clear

What amazes me is that still a properly constructed FP etalon is still the best solution (well it doesn't amaze me...but...)

I hope this when I get my hands on it has a good enough QC to at least give people without the v deep pockets a change to own an excellent H-A scope

Had I just spent more than double this on a Lunt LS60...I would be truly gutted

SM60 for £1299...jeepers that's stunning and if you work in USD, the 90 is £2300, which is simply off the scale good..

It's an amazing move by Coronado..hitting this price point, and the 60s/90s are pretty well loved...just look at Alan Freidman's SM90 images if you want to see some of the best there is

PLus, as I already have a BF10, I could get the SM90 sans BF...or sell the BF10 keeping the BF15 for use on the PST mod and/or this...

soooo tempting...90mm for silly money.. nice!

Yes, it means you get two true full aperture etalons, rather than one smaller one feeding an even smaller internal one... (50 to LS60)

Still pulling my jaw off the floor with the prices

God, if you'd just bought an old style SM60 or 90, you'd be devastated...that's one heck of a drop...and they will now be almost unsellable without making a huge loss...eeesh

Had I just spent more than double this on a Lunt LS60...I would be truly gutted

SM60 for £1299...jeepers that's stunning and if you work in USD, the 90 is £2300, which is simply off the scale good..

is

Do you seriously think that the UK price will be anywhere close to one based jsut onthe exchange rate .. we will probably end up having to pay a transatlantic premium again... :)

Definitely a step in the right direction price perfomance wise but my arms arent long enough to reach the bottom of those pockets... :D

Peter...

If these prices are true then I am up for the 90 when they arrive, they seem a much better proposition than the over priced solarscopes and old Coronado's. Looking through the PST is like looking through a toilet roll but I suppose it is cheap and cheerful. And no I dont feel gutted about paying £2500 NickyH, I wanted mine this year not in 2-3 years time. Steve

Nick, et al,

Reviewing the Meade ad there seems to be two issues:

The Solarmax II illustrated at the top of the page looks like an upgraded SM60 system ( the internal etalon - ex-pst?) being tuned by the external lever ( similar to the arrangement I had on the EC90 design!) and an external SM60 filter with a T-max adjuster fitted to give a double stack.

Nowhere do I read or see that they have a SM60 + SM60 FRONT etalon double stack??? Nor does it say that the internal etalon is a sm40/sm60 with a collimating lens... Maybe I'm missing something?

If that's the case you would get the same or better results fitting a SM60/ SM90 in front of a modded PST set-up (without the D-ERF)....

Ken

Archived