Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first Jupiter of the year

michaelmorris

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the one I have my eye on, at the mo for 4X I'm struggling with 2 stacked skywatcher x2's have you by any chance also got a tal x3 as I wondered how the tal and the imagemate compare, obviously not in mag but in imaging quality. Wondering if it's worth getting the tal AND the imagemate.

That's the one I have my eye on, at the mo for 4X I'm struggling with 2 stacked skywatcher x2's have you by any chance also got a tal x3 as I wondered how the tal and the imagemate compare, obviously not in mag but in imaging quality. Wondering if it's worth getting the tal AND the imagemate.

The Antares 3x I have is good for observing but I haven't tried it for imaging.

That's the one I have my eye on, at the mo for 4x I'm struggling with 2 stacked skywatcher x2's have you by any chance also got a tal x3 as I wondered how the tal and the imagemate compare, obviously not in mag but in imaging quality. Wondering if it's worth getting the tal AND the imagemate.

I've got two barlows. A Celestron 2 x Ultima and the 4 x Imagemate. I suspect that the only circumstances where having 2x, 3x and 4x barlows would be where the 3x provided the optimal compromise between image size and camera gain. On my f10 8" LX200 I suppose this might be useful for relatively dim targets such as Saturn or Mercury. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

I was thinking on the lines of like Jupiter or Saturn with moons shots, it's nice to get as big a 'planet' as you can but sometimes it would be nice to just squeeze in the moons, bearing in mind their positions then some variance in mag would be beneficial to be able to fit what you want in as small a frame as possible.

Whilst typing this i just had another idea.... planetary mosaic! hmmmm best of both worlds, biggest planet you can manage and then move over to moons, grab again and then stitch the results. Some experimentation may be in order here.

The problem with trying to capture Jupiter and its moons at high magnification is the very large difference in brightness. If you want the moons you'll overexpose Jupiter horribly. The only way I have found is to use two exposures, one for Jupiter and one for the moons, then make a composite image of the two.

Both Images are excellent. Jupiter is going to get a lot more attention, and perhaps the SEB will creep back into view.

I wonder how the transition will happen. Slowly, or reasonably quickly.

Ron.:)

I've noticed yours and other people's images with that black box with your name in and some image details, is it a piece of software that does it or is it just a template you use in your graphics package?

Sort of both. It's a (modified) action from Noel's Carboni's set of Astronomy Tools actions for Photoshop.

Astronomy Tools Action Set by ProDigital Software

I don't use photoshop, I'm an old die hard paint shop pro user, I don't suppose you know if they're 8BF filter files are they, if they are they should work with psp. They don't seem to have a trial version either.

Archived