Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello I'm New to Solar Viewing/Imaging

RayGil

I thought there were small prominences on the Limb, perhaps they are something else? Looking as a clock face, 1,2 & 3 oclock positions, or are they loose pixels?

I am unsure.

Ray

:)

Ray, as you're using a Neximage... are the images stacks ? If so that could be stacking artefacts... I'm yet to manage to get more than 100 frames on my NexStar 60 SLT...

Very good set of images though.

Thanks for the comments, yes that main image is stacked from a batch of 356 frames, but I manually choose the frames as the mount does not track as acurate as I would like. I have an EQ2 mount with RA clock drive which may give better reseults.

"If so that could be stacking artefacts"

Well pointed out, Never thought of this, I will check the frames to see if I have one or 2 just showing that section.

Again thank you, appreciate the comments, and yes a nice shiny filter for the CCD would be nice and a possibility!

Imaging the Sun has put a new aspect on the Hobby, and has thrown up very intriging challenges.

Ray -

Ray.... The images should really go in the imaging section, I've moved the thread over, if you enclose the URL in img tags...

[ img ] url... [ /img ]

without the spaces between the [ ] and the text, the images will embed in the post.

Andy,

No.

The DSO Ha filters are pretty well suited for nebulae etc and have a bandwidth of 10nm; you need a MINIMUM of 0.1nm (1A) to be able to resolve the Ha line in the Sun. This tight bandwidth ( and stable performance) is why the pricing of the solar Ha filters are so high.

It needs a precision Fabry-Perot etalon to achive good results.

A light green or Baader continuum filter will increase the surface resolution in white light.

Ken

Andy,

No.

The DSO Ha filters are pretty well suited for nebulae etc and have a bandwidth of 10nm; you need a MINIMUM of 0.1nm (1A) to be able to resolve the Ha line in the Sun. This tight bandwidth ( and stable performance) is why the pricing of the solar Ha filters are so high.

It needs a precision Fabry-Perot etalon to achive good results.

Ken

That's just what I thought, but wasn't sure I hadn't missed a late new development there!

Ant

Archived