NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Review..Baader Skysurfer V Giant Fiber pointer

Greg

Product.... Baader Planetarium Sky Surfer V. Giant Fiber Pointer.

Supplier... www.firstlightoptics.com

Price.........£59.00

Delivery....On Time and as described.

After several painfull experiences of "Red Dot Finders" I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a "Decent" red dot finder. Due to being short sighted I struggle to swap between finder scope and eyepiece, constantly flicking glasses up and looking through 8X finderscopes and then eyepieces becoming more ttediousand frankly a pain in the ....!

To be honest ..I can find most objects with the naked eye...Put a finderscope in front of my eye and I struggle.

First Impressions..

Item well packaged with lots of "Little bits" All individually wrapped.

Main body of the item was bubble wrapped with lots of smaller items individually wrapped which were all the different mounts for all the different type scopes.

The finder has a "Quality feel" As it is of all metal construction. A lot different to the other red dot finders iI'mused to.

The finder comes with two metal dew shields, front and rear and two clear caps which can be left on for viewing.

The dial on the top of the unit is for LED intensity and is marked from 1 - 11 (1 being the dimmest and 11 the brightest).

Two metal screw caps cover the adjustment screws. OOriginallyI thought these were the actual collimation knobs, however they unscrew to reveal the two small adjusters.

image.jpg

Fully assembled with the Skywatcher adapter.

image.jpg

2" aapertureand LED finder.

image.jpg

Last night using a quick set up and the ED80 I found the Skysufer a joy to use, it's large apeture and variable intensity LED making objects a lot easier to find than the smaller red dot finder I have and easier than using the 8X finder. (For me anyway!!)

On the ED80....

image.jpg

Conclusion..

If you have been used to using red dot finders before then the Baader Skysufer would be a good "Upgrade" To a larger, well made, quality 0 mag finder. The finder has several adapters and mount to fit different scopes.

In my opinion a good addition to the astro box.

I didn't get any dewing last night Phil, It has to be pretty damp here as i'm quite high up.

The dew shields it comes with are 1 1/2" long or 40mm in Euro's!! So quite long for a 2" Diameter piece of glass.

That's the other thing I forgot to mention the optics are all glass and not plastic.

And the bonus is...With one of the adapters it fits on my rifle! For a 0 mag red dot sight!

One small thing: The camera's flash has illuminated the inside of the tube.

In actual use, the inside is inky-black.

Yes tht's correct it is black..I just wanted to show the LED pointer...

I was waiting for the "Flocking" My Dyson....You little tinker you!!! :rolleyes:

A much more elaborate device that shares only the basic principle with other red dot finders.

The Sky Surfer V is based on a military riflescope that is offered at twice the price with (at least for astronomical purposes) inferior properties. The Sky Surfer V was optimised for the needs of amateur astronomers.

Features of the Sky Surfer V:

- better coating for better light transmission

- long dewcaps on both sides

- metal design

Pinched this off another web page.

Yes James i would say it's a good one ...

I have a little Astro Engineering one which I have been using for the past year, the red dot is a little fuzzy and it's a 30mm aperture. The adjustment is a little hit and miss as it's an all plastic construction and the two screws which move the plastic adjusters up/down, left and right are starting to wear out.

It's been fine and I'll use it on one of the other scopes...It's just that the Skysurfer is in a different league.

image.jpg

Brass 'n' Glass,

Apologies for the delay in the reply...

Yes it is a Borg turret, I purchased it from Arthur "Ambermile" A few months ago. Since then I havn't looked back, it's a very natty bit of kit.

The one I got form Arthur came with the standard 2" adapter as for the standard retail ones I think you have to go through SCS Astro? I may be wrong.

I saw one on demo at the London Astrofest and had to have one....I'm a lazy sod! swapping eyepieces is not my thing!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived