Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with a compact

I’m looking to try some astrophotography, on the cheap! I gave up all my 35m slr kit a while ago and now just have a couple of digital compacts, Olympus x-875 and a Nikon Coolpix, my scope is a Celestron 102 wide scope.

Is there a way that I can marry the camera to the scope? I’ve tried just hold the camera up to the eye piece which kind of works but not very reliable, it’s not exactly easy getting the two lined up correctly. Any ideas?

There are brackets available such as the Baader Microstage Clickstop bracket that will hold the camera upto the eyepiece. Some digital compacts have a filter thread around the lens which will allow you to use a Digital camera adaptor ring. The ring fits around the eyepiece and the adapter screws into the filter thread on the camera's lens.

Peter

Peters given some great links there. To add a bit more info your talking about 'Afocal' astro-imaging, try googling this and see what opens up.

If your still stuck then we'll see what we can do :eek:

Some very fine lunar Images have been captured with point and shoot cameras, and hand held at the eyepiece too. Fixing the camera as close to the eyepiece is a much better way to do this sort of imaging (Afocal).

As mentioned by Peter in the previous post, there are several fixes available.

Ron.

After much internet searching have just ordered the Baader Microstage from FLO, thanks for the recommendation, good reviews on various sites, so atmposheric conditions permitting we'll see how it all peforms.

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally managed to get some reasonable weather and maneged a few shots, the Baaader is a little bit fiddly to use but I'm sure I'll get used to it, will post in the imaging section.

Neil

Archived