NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

S194 Introducing astronomy course.

Has anybody on the forum studied or attended this course, the Open University S194 Introducing astronomy. If so what did you think of it. I want to start building some qualifications and expanding my knowledge of astronomy, so I was thinking that this level 1 would be a good stepping stone, any comments or advice very appreciated.

Thank you.

You have to put some time in, but if you like the subject to begin with it makes it so much more enjoyable.

Take your time and go for the second submission date (gives you plenty of time to enjoy it I think).

Whats your academic background?

I only did GCSE's and a BTEC EngTech but it was fine.

Also depends where you want to go with it. GCSE to hobby?

Or start the journey to a degree with the OU?

the ou is a good place to start if you are wanting to build up your qualifications, im going to do another level 1 course - planetary observing i think, and then move onto a level 2

you can also get help with funds

Is that S196 Rich?

Hi

I completed S194 a couple of years ago. I thought it was a good grounding in the subject, that required no real prior knowledge.

I also liked the fact that there was a choice of dates to submit your ECA, so you could pace your work to suit.

Steve

It's a good course to start with. I've also done S197 'How the Universe Works' which as I recall seemed a little more in depth. I had read plenty of astronomy books but still learned from the OU courses and plan on doing another when time/money permit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm starting this in November and can't wait. Then moving on to Planets: An Introduction and then How the Universe Works in the new year.

But be warned these three courses are all coming to an end in the near future, so if you want to sign up to do them you'd better be quick.

Archived