Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what camera???

Just been sifting my way through camera specs. How confused am I. Money is a little tight, so could anyone tell me what camera would give me okay pics of DSO but not costing the moon. Just to get me started in Astrophotography. :) :) :D

Just been sifting my way through camera specs. How confused am I. Money is a little tight, so could anyone tell me what camera would give me okay pics of DSO but not costing the moon. Just to get me started in Astrophotography. :) :) :D

If you really really want to get into DSO astrophotography and are on a very tight budget.

Then the best way to start on it is with a DSLR, like the CANON 1000D.

You can buy the camera body for less than 300 euro these days (just scoup the various shops to get the best price).

The cheapest cooled CCD for beginners is the QHY6 (around 250 euro) or the Atik 16ic (around 350 euro).

But these have a very small sensor (only 400k pixels).

But more so, it also greatly depends on the type of scope you have, about wich camera would suit best.

I personally think the best way to start with Astro Photography is starting out with Lunar and Planetary photography.

It's very cheap as you can use a (modified) webcam for it.

I use a Canon 1000d - £300 for the body on Amazon at the moment - that'll give great results - and you can modify it later as funds allow to make it more "red" sensitive. Here's what I manage to acheive with mine through a 70mm refractor.

Also, as others have already said, you'll get great images of the moon with your scope and a relatively cheap webcam.

Good luck!

post-19045-133877461582_thumb.jpg

I'd recommend (as others have) trying your luck with a webcam, on planets/moon then graduating to DSOs with a Canon DSLR. Along the way you will learn much, beware AP is not a cheap hobby, most rigs could buy a nice car!

Personally I think the idea of a Baader modified 300D plus bits for under 200.00 would be an XLNT way in. Cos' c'mon folks there are hidden xtra costs eg T-mounts, LP filter.

Below is a crop of a shot which I was really pleased with, 300D Baader modded

post-13438-133877461619_thumb.jpg

A modified ( Ha sensitive) Canon 300D, for less than 200gbp;):)

Or a canon 1000D with live view ... easier remote bulb over USB so no need for a serial release cable lot less noisy....

The 300D whilst great in its time is getting a bit long in the tooth... USB 1.1 :)

300D's typically go for £100-120 on Ebay there one on ebay now complete with lens for £109 BIN... and filter removal is a no cost "upgrade" which unless you make other changes mean that the camera is useless with lenses...also means you need more expensive filter to take care of UV and IR...

Just my 2p's worth having a 350D , 1000D and 500D ...

Did you buy that 1000D after Ken? :D

I use a Canon 1000d - £300 for the body on Amazon at the moment - that'll give great results - and you can modify it later as funds allow to make it more "red" sensitive. Here's what I manage to acheive with mine through a 70mm refractor.

Also, as others have already said, you'll get great images of the moon with your scope and a relatively cheap webcam.

Good luck!

Stone the crows :)

My dream is to get to taking pics like that.

I really dont know why catalogs refer to the Canon 1000D as the best "entry level DSLR". What is an "entry level DSLR"?

Maybe they mean it because of its price?

Basically yes. And the amount/type of functions.

With Canon, the xx00D series (like 400D, 1000D, etc) are entry level and xx50D series (like 50D, 450D, etc) are advanced/pro level.

I've not been dissapointed with my EOS1000D (apart from the fact it packed up a few weeks ago and had to go for warranty repair - unusual for one to fail I gather). The provided software with this camera makes the job so much easier operating it from the laptop and the live view makes focuusing so much easier.

Beamish is spot on warning about the hidden costs such as T Thread and adaptor, LP filter (I'm using the EOS clip filter). Oh and don't forget a laptop computer if you haven't already got one.

Trull makes a valid point - starting of with lunar planetary is a cheaper option and a great way to cut your teeth on imaging - still not cheap but cheaper than the equipment neede for DSO work. I started with a Celestron nexstar 6SE and a Meade LPI camera - got some very pleasing results of the moon and a few of Saturn. To move on to DSO work does require other equipment though - the Meade LPI is useless for long exposure (maximum 15 seconds and very noisy at that. The Celestron Nexstar is an Alt Az mount so no good for long exposure without a wedge. I had to move on to copletely new kit to start DSO work. I do still use the MEade LPI for lunar images though.

Not a cheap hobby but very rewarding - the biggest headache of course is lack of clear nights and light pollution.

Archived