NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iss help

Teddy

Hi all

Just a quick one. I am currently using the heavens above website and i want to confirm I am reading it right.

Is the ISS passing over my town of cadishead in Manchester at 11.20 tonight. Will it be dark enough for me to see anything ??

Any help would be great as it is cloud free and I have never seen the ISS before

Cheers

That sounds about right Teddy, and yes it'll be dark enough to see it. You can't really miss it if you're looking in the right general direction, and its a great feeling to see it!

Let us know how you get on!

Helen

I agree with Helen - I use this site and get the same time - I am in Stockport.

even if there's light cloud you'll see it. it floats silently across the sky a lot slower than a plane and is pretty bright - like a high and white version of those orange candle floaters you see. it's pretty awe inspiring. try and get it in the scope - that's a challenge!

edit sorry - just notice you don't have a scope yet - you'll see it well in bins too.

Thanks you two

Sat outside now waiting ... Feel like it's Christmas eve ... Aaarrgghh excited. Will post in a bit. Are you two watching it. Gonna try to get the bino's on it

ha ha

it will be quite low in the sky but tomorrow at about 22.11 it will be a lot higher.

clouding a bit here but should still be OK I hope. my scopes' out ready for doing some double stars tonight - the sky is laughing at me again!

Whey hey my first ISS veiw

Did not have equip outside but went past bang on time lol

I can't believe how bright and low it was. absolutely amazing site. Can't get over it. Glad u all saw it to. Now that is unforgettable

Ps I think I saw that flare. If it was what I saw it was a flash (a shooting star/shooting satalite) that lasted 2 secs or so. If that's not what a flare looks like it then god knows what I saw

ISS ....... = Ace

Whey hey my first ISS veiw

Did not have equip outside but went past bang on time lol

I can't believe how bright and low it was. absolutely amazing site. Can't get over it. Glad u all saw it to. Now that is unforgettable

Ps I think I saw that flare. If it was what I saw it was a flash (a shooting star/shooting satalite) that lasted 2 secs or so. If that's not what a flare looks like it then god knows what I saw

ISS ....... = Ace

The Iridium travelled northwards as it rose, gradually increased in brightness over two seconds and then faded slowly as it rose further.

Yep it sounds like you have spotted an Iridium flare. Check for them on the same site (Heavens Above).

I saw it too but missed the flare - doh!

it was quite cloudy where I am (and getting worse) but this gave the ISS a lovely ghostly halo which eventually faded to a dot in thicker cloud.

it's actually about 200 miles up and only 100 metres across - it's amazing that it's still brighter than Vega!

I missed the ISS, neighbours house got in the way of it, but I did catch a flare travelling north eventually fading in the constellation Hercules.

One question about heavens above, hope someone can help me with. I select my location from the map on the site but the time they quote for the passing is one hour ahead of local time. I managed to talk the wife into standing out the back to catch a 1am pass. She wasnt to impressed by the no-show or my astro no-how!! Am I doing something wrong??

Thanx Yeti, p.c. clock is fine its just the times read exactly 1 hour in front, if it heavens above says 02.34, ISS passed over at 01.34.....

Do you mean the clock in the bottom right of the screen? Or the actual system clock?

I had trouble with stellarium when I brought out my laptop and set the screen clock to Beijing time (GMT+8) but not the system clock.

Thinks: that could be the problem I have with stellarium at home........;):)

Archived