Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow...that's cheap

NickH

No, an advertised price is merely 'an invitation to treat' or an invitation to discuss the price. They are not obliged to sell it at that price and have no legal compunction to do so.

If they constantly advertise items at the wrong price, you may have grounds to complain to the local Trading Standards officer though.

Fac is that the Atik 314L at Astrofest was at the same price, so maybe SX are trying to compete against that...whatever, it's a stonking deal...add a copy of Nebulosity, and you're set to go..

I was under the impression that although the price is an invitation only, if you were to purchase it and they were to accept your order then there is a contract in force - they made an offer, you made an offer, they accepted your offer.

A contract (to purchase in this case) requires an offer and an acceptance. If for example you go into a shop and see a Paramount ME with a price tag of £150 you might get all excited and rush to the checkout with your bargain purchase (the offer). But the person behind the counter is not legally obliged to sell you the mount and can insist that you pay the full £15000 (the acceptance).

You can be sure there will be some clause deep down in the T&Cs saying that they do not have to sell an item if it has been mis-priced. I have had experience of this kind of thing before and even if you order and your credit card is debited you will get a refund and an email informing you that there has been a mistake.

You might be lucky though ;)

I used to sell Italian marble statues and fountains and my old boss used to love doing this sort of thing.

He'd deliberately under price some of the more popular items to gain interest and then once the sale was underway go through his "catalogue" and then explain that price was incorrect and give them the acutal price. If anyone kicked up a stink about it he used to quote something along the lines of "I dont have to sell it to you at the advertised price, I can remove it from sale for 24 hours and then put it back on sale at the correct price."

Not sure how legal that statement was but if anyone got up and left he'd just go and put the lower price back on it rather than wait. Dodgy geezer my old boss.

sat at work with nothing to do so followed the buy process right to end (and stopped before the final PAY click). They wanted £1003 plus change, so £999 plus P&P, seems to be genuine. Nice find, shame it won't be on cards for a year or two!!

They are in breach of the distance selling regulations with this:

"If you exercise your right to cancel your order after the goods have been despatched, you will be responsible for returning the goods to Warehouse Express at your own risk and cost,"

You are not resonsible to return the items, this is a big misconception, you are responsilble to look after the goods and make them availabe for return, but you do not have to physically retun them yourself.

I was under the impression that although the price is an invitation only, if you were to purchase it and they were to accept your order then there is a contract in force - they made an offer, you made an offer, they accepted your offer.

Yes if the cash has been taken for the offer price, then it's true.

I had this happen last year, with a pair of titanium Laser duotone cans for my motorbike.

I didn't know what they went for, they just seemed a nice pair of cans at a good price in the January Sales, at £176.00. I clicked on buy on the website, did the payment, then phoned them up to say I'd collect them rather than have them delivered, as there were some bits I wanted that were on sale in the shop, and went up the following day to collect.

Talked to the guy behind the counter when I got there, asking if they were there, and he said 'Yes, you had a right steal with these, shouldn't have even got one for that let alone a pair'.

So I asked if there'd been a mistake 'Oh you could say that!' was the reply. So I offered to pull out of the purchase (M&P really look after me, have done for years now, have saved me huge amounts of money, and they are always a pleasure to deal with - I think they remembered me not returning some stuff that was faulty as I just wrote it off to the luck of the draw, and only informed them as they needed to check that other stock wasn't affected), as I'd really hate for Mark to lose out.

'Nahhh! Happy New Year! Enjoy them!' was the response.

So that was that.

Found out when I got home what they should have cost - £799.99p. Sale price? Reduced to £699.99p!

I've definitely enjoyed them. All around Europe. ;)

Belting firm M&P, just like FLO.

I got a deal several years ago on a certain website which listed "buy one get one free on Coronado scopes" so I ordered a PST and requested a PST Cak, which they duly tried to get out of, but then sent, amending the advert 12 hours later to "Buy any Coronado Maxscope 90 or Televue scope and get a PST Cak free". Was tempted to buy a TV Pronto and get another Cak, sell that and make back almost the entire cost of the Pronto in USD...but thought it would be just extrapolating the widdle a bit.

The two PST's in total cost me so little, it was just not funny... :-)

I suppose there's also the point that USB 3 gear is imminent, and the price of USB 2 stuff is going to collapse dramatically once the USB 3 gear is around?

Stock clearance in advance?

The top stuff now is likely to be the real cheap entry level stuff pretty soon I reckon?

And USB3 makes a difference for DSO work how?

1s download time not fast enough :-)

If these cams had 30FPS/15FPS support fair enough...but the only 285 chipset cam I have seen with high frame rate/DSO and Peltier capability cost £7000 (Lumenera Infinity 3-1)

Think this is just a price match against Atik.. IMHO

Archived