Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Earlier on the 27th exposure experiments

neil phillips

Because i had to have gain on full early on in the captures i took a couple at 1/15th secs exposure 15 frames per second, so i could drop gain to about 70 80% That also meant that i had less frames in 3 mins 2800. i stacked them using a referance frame of 200. then stacked 1000. i then realigned with processed, now with the 1000 frame referance, i added another 900 frames, for a total stack of 1900 frames, but even though theres less than half my usual ( 1/30thsecs exposure 30 frames per second stacks ) the noise is actually less, the benefits of droping gain using 1/15th secs exposure rather than 1.30th secs. The downside is the camera can not beat the seeing as fast. So horeses for courses, but still a nice smooth detailed image that some might even prefer, Not as much detail as my other shots ( not forgeting it was much earlier and hence lower )

But it seems to make up for this a little by the more natural less high gain appearance, see if you agree. both procedures have weaknesses and strength then. Some may prefer not to do these type of experiments and stick to a strict protocol. But i dont belive thats productive. Through experimentation we find new cures ( and problems ) to the target being shot at the time of capture. 1/15th secs will be dependent on seeing, the better the seeing, the better this technique will work over its faster 1/30th secs counterpart. Hope some find this interesting. Feel Free to disagree. But its always good to learn your camera well. and i belive both techniques are valid for different conditions, and different reasons. That doesnt mean im giving up 30 frames a second. Absolutely not

Phew the shot

4744225995_2008b2bfa4_o.png

Very nice image Neil.

Seems more contrast and "meat" to the image. Very interesting reading your procedure. Maybe I should try 3 min AVIs, not been doing longer than 2 mins. Just worried about rotational blur.

Have you noticed a significant difference by building a reference frame rather than selecting a single frame?

To be honest John ive never tested the theory mainly because so many guys talk about the good benefits of a nice referance frame i just assuned that would be the case. The fact that registax is designed with that in mind, and common sense about optimizing with a better referance suggests to me that a good referance frame should further help optimizing in its job. So its just something ive always done. I would suggest the time spent is worthwhile. Some guys like Nick actually start out with a Referance during alignment. I know he does this on lunar, i would assume ( only Nick could say for sure though ) he does this on planets too. I usually as a quick run just align first the create about 2 or 300 frames on create referance, enough so some sharpening can be performed without too much noise. As noise can cofuse registax acoording to COR

Hope this helps

cheers for the comments

• 1 month later...

Archived