Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shaving mirror telescope.

Hi all.

I have been on the outside looking in for quite a while and decided to join up after a few weeks

One question: Is it posible to make a reflector telescope out of a shaving mirror?

Regards;

The focal point on an object at Infinity, would bring it so close to the mirror, you would have great difficulty getting an eyepiece in there to observe the subject.

Try focusing the sun on to a wall and you will see what I mean. You will probably see how imperfect the mirror is as an astronomical objective.

Don't use paper, you might set it alight.:D

Ron.

Yes, you can do it.

I did when I was 11 or so, back in 1970.

I used one of those square mirrors that you get on mirror balls for the flat, and used cardboard tube and meccano.

It was terrible though, but I enjoyed making it. :D

I then made a 2 1/5 inch refractor using cardboard tube and glue, and I saw Saturns rings through it :p

Cheers

Rob

I had the same idea last year - I wanted to see if it was possible to make a scope entirely out of products bought from Ikea. Fortunately I changed my mind about the project :D

Main problems with shaving mirror concept:

1) The curvature is usually very uneven at the mirror edge

2) You'll get ghosting if it's a glass mirror

3) Is the focal length acceptable?

Possible solutions:

- for (1) Mask off the mirror surround

- for (2) Find out if any are made with the curved surface not behind glass.

Don't know about (3)

I made one of these about 25 years ago as a project for school. I had a inner tube from a roll of carpet and I cut it to length and inserted my mum's make up mirror in the bottom.

It looked quite good but didn't work at all. If I remember right I got top marks for trying :D

• 5 years later...

Most shaving mirrors aren't fit for shaving in ...  :p

True, but they can do this!

post-40604-0-68440500-1437119832.jpg

This was in a December, and through a filthy window (as you can see!). We were lucky the rays didn't touch the curtains, or I don't know what would have happened. As it was, we just got  an odd plasticky smell, and originally didn't know where it was coming from.

The message - don't leave magnifying mirrors anywhere that the sun can reach.

Also, let it be a reminder about never looking at the sun through a telescope without appropriate filters  :excl:

Ian

I have a UPVC window with a very similar burn! Mrs A didn't believe her mirror was responsible, so we went outside and set fire to some wood with it (the mirror, not Mrs A!)

I had a worrying experience on a summers day with a shaving mirror melting part of a sofa, the same mirror had sat there for months until the sun caught it at the right angle, scary..

Archived