Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from light polluted London

dark star

Hi from light polluted London. I was interested in astronomy when I was 11 years old and have rekindled my interst after around 35 years!

I enjoy looking at nebula and globular clusters, when I can find them! I also like looking at planets and will never forget seeing Saturn through a telescope for the first time in 35 years last year.

There are so many beautiful and intersting things in the night sky!

I have a Skywatcher 150PL reflector, a 120mm f/5 refractor, Helios 15x70 binoculars, Revelation 20x100 binoculars, an Orion 9x50 RACI finder scope, a WO UWAN 7mm eyepiece, some other eyepieces and an Astronomics UHF filter. I have already become a bit carried away with buying equipment!

I find reading posts by more experienced people on Stargazers Lounge very informative, I found out about the Stellarium star map software here which I use all the time.

Greetings again from London (my user name by the way is taken from the title of a very funny comedy science fiction film).

dark star

I grew up in Dublin and the skies weren't too bad when I was a teenager.I left nearly 3 years ago and many years you would not get any dark skies all year round.

I live in the South of Galway now (West coast of Ireland) and the skies here are fantastic and you can see really low down.

I have a Meade telescope & Hertel & Reuss fold out telescope plus a few binoculars.I am excited tonight coz I got a pair of Yashica 7x35's off eBay in perfect condition.They have a 10 degree field which is superb.

I may get them by Friday and maybe the moon will be out of the way by then!

Cheers.

I haven't seen the film Dark Star for years either, but I really liked it! I will post next week when I have more time about my epic year long search for M57 the Ring Nebula, which I finally found a week ago (moving a bit further out from the centre of London recently helped with this I think,)finding M27 the Dumbell Nebula and learning to star hop. Thanks for the welcome.

Hi Dark Star, welcome to SGL! I'm only 20 years old, so naturally my general ignorance means I have never heard of the film. Sounds very well received though the comments above, so will have to investigate further!

Archived