Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1000D v 450D

Hi,

Can anyone tell me in plain English the primary advantages of the Canon 450D over the 1000D (if any)?

The 450 has a slightly bigger screen at the back, but seems to have the same 22.2 x 14.8mm CMOS sensor and other features, so is it really worth the considerable additional cost?

Sorry if I'm repeating any previous posts!

For astro use go for the 1000D which is considerably cheaper.

Only difference is the 1000D is 12 bits against the 450's 14 bits, on paper this makes the 450 better but in real use (astro) this is open to debate :)

Canon XSi / 450D vs Canon XS / 1000D | Digital Photography Notes

Thanks George. Just what I was looking for.

Too late, I fell for the sales patter and gone and got myself a 450d rather than a 1000d. Now, surely there must be some tangible benefits of this one over the 1000?. The big screen is nice.

For daylight use, the spot metering on the 450d can be a real help. The kit lens is supposed to be a big step up from the kit lens with the 1000d too. The slightly higher bit depth, in theory, in raw mode, will give that little bit extra leeway. And you have 2 more Mpx... not a lot of use unless you're printing big of course...

I fell for the sales patter and gone and got myself a 450d rather than a 1000d.

I don't think you will regret that choice - I have just had to buy a new DSLR as my old faithful Minolta Dimage 7 gave up the ghost and I did a lot of research and decided on the 450D - I am blown away by it! I don't just do astro-photography so a general purpose DSLR made sense but I have seen terrific astro results from this camera. I have also seen great results from the 1000D but a an all-rounder, the 450D hit the spot for me and talking of which, the spot metering of the 450D is a compelling reason for purchase as is the 3" (as opposed to 2.5" of the 1000D) Live View display.

1000D VFM and right price to "risk" a self mod 450D better if your looking for a dual purpose cam ...

The point is where do you stop...(and thats rich coming form a man with 6 DSLR's) I bought a 500D a few months ago having had a 450D for a few weeks because I wanted movie recording...

The 500D's file sizes are double those of the 1000D and the smaller pixels are a stern test of the optics... Ok files size - memory cards are cheap but it does put a lot more "load" on DSS...

Peter...

I too have and use a 450D, I don't think you will regret it.

It cost more but you must have been able to afford it!!!!!

Next step is to either take it appart yourself and remove the filter or send it off to someone else to do. I chickened out and got Kevin at DSLR Astromod to do mine but there are others out there doing the same. There are also guides on the net to do it yourself if you feel brave...

Too late, I fell for the sales patter and gone and got myself a 450d rather than a 1000d. Now, surely there must be some tangible benefits of this one over the 1000?. The big screen is nice.

There really is VERY LITTLE difference between both. The 450D just has the edge over the 1000D.

I went for the 450D over the 1000D simply because the 450D weighs a bit more and fit my BIG hands a bit better then the 1000D. It just felt chunkier and more solid.

I'm sure there are slight technical differences and the 450D has the upper hand but the 1000D is a bit cheaper. I was very close to buying the 1000D but the 450D just FELT RIGHT.

I think that is the most important thing. I dont use my 450D with my scope. I use it on a fixed tripod but its main use is every day photography (hand held) so how it felt in my hand was the deciding factor.

Basically IF you can afford the 450D go for it. If the 1000D is what you can afford then you will not be let down with it.

• 3 months later...

Archived